Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark MAC Address

Spark MAC Address

One annoying thing about the HDMI Sparks is that on every boot up, it appears to have a different MAC address on my router, so I can't assign a static IP based on MAC.

Is there any reason for this?

That's interesting. I am not seeing that here nor, really, did I expect to. The MAC address is effectively hard coded into the device. Does your Spark webpage show the same MAC address as the router displays? Can you tell us anything about the way the Spark is connected to your network?

I wonder if it could be something like this: https://winaero.com/blog/enable-rand...wi-fi-adapter/
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    That's interesting. I am not seeing that here nor, really, did I expect to. The MAC address is effectively hard coded into the device. Does your Spark webpage show the same MAC address as the router displays? Can you tell us anything about the way the Spark is connected to your network?

I wonder if it could be something like this: https://winaero.com/blog/enable-rand...wi-fi-adapter/
    We have 5 Sparks on the network, all connected by Ethernet to various switches.

I just booted up one of them, checked the MAC address on the webpage, rebooted the device and saw it has a different MAC address after it booted up again. Images available at https://imgur.com/a/3bAuK

That's bizarre. Is just the one unit doing this, or more than one?

p.s., anyone else seeing this?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    That's bizarre. Is just the one unit doing this, or more than one?

p.s., anyone else seeing this?
    Happening across multiple Sparks - https://imgur.com/a/oqG27

The workaround just now is me setting manual IPs on the Sparks themselves but it's still a tad annoying.

Mine does this too, I absolutely hate it
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

Well, this is one for the books ... but it makes the Spark useless for us! (latest 0483 SDI firmware).

No network device is supposed to do this. It should keep its MAC adress. In our company, we assign IP's dynamically, based on MAC adress. based on that, we assign it to the correct VLAN. This way, we can use it anywhere, but still remain on seperated VLAN's.

Please fix this, this makes it useless.

Quote Originally Posted by jandw View Post
    No network device is supposed to do this.
    Of course. Please open a bug case: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....Reporting-Bugs
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Thanks. Just to mention it, I have personally tested my own SDI Spark running the same version of the firmware, both by powering it down using the switch, and unplugging it for a period of time, but I have not been able to reproduce the problem. I have referred the case to QA for a deeper look. (Mine is an early production unit, so it's possible there has been some deleterious change since then.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I am having this same issue. I have 6 sparks. We just switched our network to assigning IP's by MAC address, and this completely blew up. Soooooo annoying. We can not use these devices anymore unless this is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rohde View Post
    I am having this same issue. I have 6 sparks. We just switched our network to assigning IP's by MAC address, and this completely blew up. Soooooo annoying. We can not use these devices anymore unless this is resolved.
    Just to update this, QA has not been able to reproduce this issue either, but are continuing to attempt to do so while gathering more info.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    We have seen the same thing also Steve on a couple different system installs. We can lock the IP Address down on the unit but the MAC address definitely can change around on each reboot. We just starting ignoring the Mac address on our managed networks and just looked for the IP address assigned.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Oh, you don't need to convince me, Jeff, I believe the reports. We're just trying to find a way to reproduce it so it can be diagnosed.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Steve-

Would it help if I sent one in? I have about 4 weeks until the next event.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast