Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wow! Ndi 3.5

Can't get scan convertor 3,5 to work at all

I just downloaded the new tools.

Installed it on a good, Win 10 system with an NVidia 3800 card.

Doesn't want to seem to announce its presence to any studio monitor app, even on the same box. Yet, running test pattern is A-OK.

And, another thing, on Scan Convertor 3.5, doesn't want to pick up my webcam. I try selecting it and check mark stays on NONE.

Also tried above on another system, a laptop (also with an older NVidia chipset), but same results.

I've done a couple of reboots in the process, to ensure no DLLs running around out there. Anything to manually remove on these systems before installing (EG, it seemed as though they uninstalled previous tools which were on both boxes beforehand).

Any ideas?

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications
    Last edited by fgolman; 06-12-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    I just downloaded the new tools.

Installed it on a good, Win 10 system with an NVidia 3800 card.

Doesn't want to seem to announce its presence to any studio monitor app, even on the same box. Yet, running test pattern is A-OK.

And, another thing, on Scan Convertor 3.5, doesn't want to pick up my webcam. I try selecting it and check mark stays on NONE.

Also tried above on another system, a laptop (also with an older NVidia chipset), but same results.

I've done a couple of reboots in the process, to ensure no DLLs running around out there. Anything to manually remove on these systems before installing (EG, it seemed as though they uninstalled previous tools which were on both boxes beforehand).

Any ideas?

Fritz Golman
    I'm not 100% sure, but the new NDI Scan Converter runs in GPU, I do believe you need a GPU that is fairly 'recent' (probably released in the last 5 years or so). The Quadro FX3800 chip is from 2009, so it is pretty old, it works on Windows 10, but it might not support the GPU programming capabilities needed for the new NDI Scan Converter to operate.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but the new NDI Scan Converter runs in GPU, I do believe you need a GPU that is fairly 'recent' (probably released in the last 5 years or so). The Quadro FX3800 chip is from 2009, so it is pretty old, it works on Windows 10, but it might not support the GPU programming capabilities needed for the new NDI Scan Converter to operate.
    Not my area of speciality but I have some info which might help:

I believe the new NDI Studio Monitor specifically requires OpenGL 4.5 and DirectX 11 and possibly at least 2GB of GPU memory.
    GPUZ should allow you to check whether your machine hits these marks.

Actually, it seems that Studio Monitor will pretty much run on anything, including Win 7 systems. However, it's Scan Convertor which is quite specific in its needs I think. Strange thing is everything ran fine on my Win 10/32 tablet PC but had trouble on my desktop systems which had much more heavy duty GPUs, etc. Luckily, it seems that these products are compatible with the components from the portable 2.0 (or maybe it was 1.0) original NDI tools so if scan convertor won't work in 3.5 I can fall back for that, at least.

Fritz Golman

Great to see 3.5 is here at last!

First question - how should the "Virtual Camera" thing work on Windows? I'm testing with Skype and I see "NDI Video" as a video source, but no video shows.

I run the "Virtual Camera" app, but nothing obvious happens - in particular, there's no NDI icon showing in the task tray, so I have no way of selecting a source...?

Quote Originally Posted by roddyp View Post
    I run the "Virtual Camera" app, but nothing obvious happens - in particular, there's no NDI icon showing in the task tray, so I have no way of selecting a source...?
    Windows may be 'collapsing' the VC icon into the hidden icons popup? You need to right-click that icon to assign a specific NDI source from your the network to it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

So, here's some great news. Some time back while we were all waiting for 3.5 to come out, someone mentioned here in the forum about using it with the Intel Compute Stick.

I just picked one up and I'm happy to report that the Studio Monitor app works PERFECTLY!

I streamed NDI from my old laptop, out of YouTube, via so-so Wi-Fi in my house to the stick, and it was phenomenal.

We're interested in this for application in the museum, both prerecorded as well as live programming, to the hundreds of monitors around our facility.

I can see lots of other applications, too, like teleprompters, etc.

Cheers!

Fritz Golman
    Last edited by fgolman; 06-13-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    We're interested in this for application in the museum, both prerecorded as well as live programming, to the hundreds of monitors around our facility.
    In that connection, check out Studio Monitor's new webpage, Fritz. It's very cool to be able to re-jig any Studio Monitor instance on your network from your phone!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yep, another selling point.

😁

Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Windows may be 'collapsing' the VC icon into the hidden icons popup?
    Thanks, checked that already.

But mystery now "solved": Task manager showed it running, even though the icon was missing. Killed it, restarted, and the icon is there now.

We should be able to use that straight away to integrate NDI video into an existing application that already has DirectShow capture support. Time to play!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123