Thread: NDI & PowerPoint

NDI & PowerPoint

When linking a computer running powerpoint to another using NDI I get multiple links/options. Besides ('desktop') I get ('powerpoint'),and ('powerpoint(1)'). But I don't see anything with these options. If I select 'desktop', I will get either the presenter view or the slide depending on which mode I'm running in. This happens regardless of whether I have a separate monitor hooked up or not. The powerpoint program's windows are sensed but NDI software seems not to be able to grab the image except as 'desktop'. Anybody have similar/different experiences.

If I was running into this, I might temporarily disable my firewall, just to eliminate that from the list of potential causes. I ran into this yesterday using the upcoming Scan Converter version where I only got black. Somehow or other the relevant exception in the firewall rules became disabled. I fixed that and all was well again.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

More detail on the firewall settings please.

Quote Originally Posted by VideoE View Post
    When linking a computer running powerpoint to another using NDI I get multiple links/options. Besides ('desktop') I get ('powerpoint'),and ('powerpoint(1)'). But I don't see anything with these options. If I select 'desktop', I will get either the presenter view or the slide depending on which mode I'm running in.
    I've noticed when you initially choose either of the PowerPoint or PowerPoint 1 options you initially receive nothing (BLACK), but if you advance the slide back and forward the source appears.

What I'd be really interested to know in relation to PowerPoint or indeed any other MultiMonitor application is if anyone has found a good way of being able to force PowerPoint to run Presenter View and output slides as though they were on extended desktop, but without having to physically connect a monitor or display device.

I have an application on my Mac which creates a Virtual Monitor, but it seems to be quite resource intensive.

It would be a dream if NDI could be implemented within PowerPoint (and Keynote) and would output Main Slides plus PresenterView.

As a secondary option, it would be outstanding if the NDI ScanConverter could create Virtual Monitors (Extended Desktop) which would allow PowerPoint to run with PresenterView and Full Screen Slide Output.

That would make my day and life so much easier.

Thanks

I'm not sure how power point determines which monitor to use for slides. Something like this might be handy.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for your reply Stoecklem. Yes, I've seen and experimented with similar devices and they certainly work, and while they are cheap enough to carry spares of for all manner of occurrences, I just wondered if there was a better known software solution, or if Newtek NDI could look at something built in to the Scan Converter application.

Further, what is the procedure or tactic from NewTek on 'lobbying' developers to add NDI Support. For example PowerPoint. Do we just hope that they might one day add it, or is there a tactical plan?

Quote Originally Posted by RossMcIntosh View Post
    Further, what is the procedure or tactic from NewTek on 'lobbying' developers to add NDI Support. For example PowerPoint. Do we just hope that they might one day add it, or is there a tactical plan?
    Microsoft have shown a lot of interest in working with NDI in many different and practical ways - but I love this idea!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I've created a feature request on the PowerPoint User Forum that Microsoft's PowerPoint development team monitor.
    Requests need at least 20 Votes before it even draws their attention to it.
    I've requested in the Windows group even though I am personally a Mac User, logic being that hopefully they will implement it in both eventually but try to appeal to the core PP Windows User Base first.
    If anyone else feels this would be beneficial please go and vote it up.

Thanks

https://powerpoint.uservoice.com/for...isplay-outputs

Hi Ross,

Good suggestion, I voted and added comment at MS site

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I've put my name in too. I would use this a lot!
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

+1 from me.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

15, moving along This would be cool!