Thread: Newtek PTZ camera problem

Newtek PTZ camera problem

I am using Tricaster 460 AE with the latest version with 3 Newtek PTZ1 cameras.
    When I cut between cameras the image of the camera that goes to PGM goes faster (speed up) and after a second goes back to normal speed. This occurs in all cameras when they go to PGM.

Maybe a NDI HX driver problem? Or problem with the latest AE2 update?
    Last edited by Koinonia; 04-04-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    Daniel Choi
    Tricaster 460 AE2 - Tricaster 855 - Tricaster 455

We will contact you on this. If anyone else has a similar problem please email [email protected] ... This is related to bit-rate control and buffering on the network and is a complicated issue (getting truly smooth video out of IP cameras are MUCH harder than people think) that we think we fixed right after we shipped. We do have test builds of the next version of HX that anyone can test with this problem, although I'd not recommend them for everyone yet.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew for your prompt response! Good to know that you are fixing the problem, as I am not able to use the cameras with NDI.
    Daniel Choi

Actually, I'm not sure its quite this simple. We think this problem was fixed a long time ago which is why we need to be in touch to double check and so it is a bit confusing to me that you see it at all. We do not believe this is common at all and might well be related to network conditions which is why I want people to email us who have a problem. QA are going to reach out to you (and might have already) but anyone else can email us and we'll work with them to either understand or solve their problems.

Our PTZ1s exhibited this behavior during a show last Friday as well, but not since. Or, at least, our show producers haven't reported it to me since. We're running 5 of these cameras through a TC1 with the latest software build.

A more common issue for us right now is that the TC1 will sometimes "forget" a PTZ1 is plugged in. Video is passed through, but control commands aren't recognized (the "NDI" letters for that source aren't grayed out on the Input config menu, as they are when video and control is available). Exiting the project and rebooting seems to do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLeblang View Post
    A more common issue for us right now is that the TC1 will sometimes "forget" a PTZ1 is plugged in. Video is passed through, but control commands aren't recognized (the "NDI" letters for that source aren't grayed out on the Input config menu, as they are when video and control is available). Exiting the project and rebooting seems to do the trick.
    This is interesting. The way that the PTZ1 is detected is that we send out a multicast packet onto the network saying "hey everyone, if you are a PTZ1 then please respond" and hopefully the cameras respond. My guess is that in this case either the multicast packet is being dropped by the network or the response is ... you should definitely take a look at your network config for multicast. For those that case, we send out a new query about once a minute and I bet that if you wait a minute the camera will then be detected.

With this said, I am going to make us send out more than one query on startup so that the chances of any network glitches causing something to not be detected are very unlikely. I need to find out if we can use mDNS to discover PTZ1s like we do for the rest of NDI ... that is a way better way to do this but it might not be possible.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLeblang View Post
    I went looking in the code, then came back and read this through again and it is actually something different from what I mentioned in the last post. Can you email [email protected] and let them know about this and I will talk to them about it as well. It sounds like the problem is that the UDP traffic for PTZ control is getting blocked on the network somehow while the TCP traffic used for video is working. We can help you diagnose why this is.

Will do, Andrew. Thanks for responding. Just a quick question: any reason this would only happen to a single camera (or multiple), but not all of them? We're actually migrating all of these systems - TC1, MediaDS, Talkshow, cameras - over to a new switch tomorrow with DHCP reservations for the devices. I'll touch base with QA after that.

Latest VHR111 firmware installed on all cameras?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Latest VHR111 firmware installed on all cameras?

Thanks

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Yes, the latest firmware VHR111 installed in all cameras and AE2 5-1-180323.
    Daniel Choi

a quick note on this - i have a customer with this issue and he has a few cameras running VHR110 and others running VHR111- the cameras running VHR110 do NOT have the issue-

very interested to hear if we can download vhr110 or if there is a new release

If I could offer a suggestion, try downloading and installing the latest NDI HX driver.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")