Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joystick control

Joystick control

I was setting up a system yesterday at a customers with three PTZ1s. When using a joystick in Studio Monitor regardless of which Monitor window had focus all three cameras were responding to the joystick (an XKeys XK-12) all the time. This is from NDI tools downloaded last Thursday.

Anyone got this working with multiple cameras? Is there a setting I missed someplace?

The way this project has been going I'm surprised flames didn't shoot out of it
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, TC 8000, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, 3Play Mini, 3Play 4800, TS 100, TS 4000

Joystick control doesn't require focus. If it is told to follow a joystick, that is what it does.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

So there's no way to control multiple cameras without multiple joysticks? That's crazy.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, TC 8000, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, 3Play Mini, 3Play 4800, TS 100, TS 4000

This is how joysticks work in Window. When I added joystick support to my Camera Commande web app it would respond the same way.

Kane
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

What we need then is a keyboard shortcut to enable/disable joystick control then I can program buttons on the controller to switch which Window will respond. In the meantime I'll write a macro that drives the mouse around and pulls down the menus to change. but that's an ugly hack.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Or perhaps look at what XKey's or Skaarhoj will have at NAB.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....ek-NDI-cameras
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

All,

An older version of Studio Monitor did follow keyboard focus for the Joystick control however I received complaints about that because people wanted it to always apply. We can actually make this work almost any way people want although there really are downsides of any particular approach really.

Andrew

A link to the older version would be a life saver. This project has been a nightmare (things like it never occurred to them that they needed network access in the control room in order to stream) and the enduser is getting annoyed.

I can see wanting the joystick to always work but only if you had a single camera. In this case we are trying to control three PTZ1s during city council meetings.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Its the week before NAB ... but I'll see what I can do. Anyone at the show who sees this thread can come and ask me what I did about it.

Andrew

The next version of Studio Monitor (coming very soon!) will support multiple windows and multiple joysticks really quite well. If you have multiple windows open and each has a separate joystick assigned to them then at any time you can control that camera with that joystick. If you have multiple windows open assigned to the same joystick then the one that has focus will control that specific camera. This works with any combination of multiple windows open and multiple joysticks connected (it gets very complicated).

Andrew

Thank you Andrew. You and NewTek are always the best!
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    Thank you Andrew. You and NewTek are always the best!
    If you shoot me an email, I can give you a beta to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    The next version of Studio Monitor (coming very soon!) will support multiple windows and multiple joysticks really quite well. If you have multiple windows open and each has a separate joystick assigned to them then at any time you can control that camera with that joystick. If you have multiple windows open assigned to the same joystick then the one that has focus will control that specific camera. This works with any combination of multiple windows open and multiple joysticks connected (it gets very complicated).

Andrew
    To complement Andrew's news, the next version of Sienna NDI Monitor for macOS (which supports PTZ control with a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse rather than a Joystick) now has a similar feature, where you can set a 'respond in background' checkbox on each instance to indicate whether that Monitor should always follow the SpaceMouse, or whether it should only do so when that application instance is in the foreground.

Sr Programmer Analyst
    I just connected an X-Keys XK-68 Joystick and selected in Studio Monitor. The controls do not appear to be properly mapped:
    Joystick forward/back appears to control Zoom
    left-right controls focus
    rotation controls Tilt. I have no Pan of which to speak .

Any help?

Thank you,

Chad

Download NDI Tools again. The older versions of NDI Studio Monitor required dual axis joysticks and would work as you describe with a single axis joystick like the X-Keys. The newer NDI Studio Monitor (included in NDI Tools) should work correctly.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast