Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LightWave 3D 2018.0.3 Update is Posted!!!

That's fine EXCEPT that, if you did discover a problem with the self-updated version [a plugin incompatibility problem, etc.], you'd have to reinstall it to an earlier state [which may not be possible with self-update].

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wilde View Post
    Thanks!

With the frequency of releases, I wish LightWave was a self-updating software. Every time I have to install it again, copy all the plugins and configs I use. LW should be able to install updates in the same folder.
    Or at the very least give you the option. I have to update 40 seats in our iMac lab . . . one at a time after every update. It's wonderful that they keep bug fixes coming but have to redo all the plug-ins is a major issue.

creacon
    Don't know about Mac, but on PC we used to install 1 version on the server with redirected (read only) configs.
    All the workstations just had shortcuts to that one install. Upgrade 50 workstations was 5 minutes max.

creacon

Quote Originally Posted by robertn2k View Post
    Or at the very least give you the option. I have to update 40 seats in our iMac lab . . . one at a time after every update. It's wonderful that they keep bug fixes coming but have to redo all the plug-ins is a major issue.

It's a trade-off of pros and cons, but full offline manual control is ultimately best in my view. But c'mon, from too much silence to too much updates is just great.

Quote Originally Posted by robertn2k View Post
    If you upgrade that many installations you should find a way to automatize the deployment.

But yes I agree, updating LW for stability / maintenance releases should be inplace or offer the option. But that of course requires additional efforts in packaging the software.
    For example the Vue 2016.4 to 2016.5 update is done much faster (inplace, within seconds) and that's even a feature release.
    However for me I find it more important that they deliver fixes in a timely manner than the installation procedure itself.

And I'm sure it offers a silent install too and with a few scripting you can automatize the whole thing easily.

Edit - here you go

LightWave 2018.0.3 2018.0.3
    Usage:

--help Display the list of valid options

--version Display product information

--unattendedmodeui <unattendedmodeui> Unattended Mode UI
    Default: none
    Allowed: none minimal minimalWithDialogs

--optionfile <optionfile> Installation option file
    Default:

--debuglevel <debuglevel> Debug information level of verbosity
    Default: 2
    Allowed: 0 1 2 3 4

--mode <mode> Installation mode
    Default: qt
    Allowed: qt win32 unattended

--debugtrace <debugtrace> Debug filename
    Default:

--installer-language <installer-language> Language selection
    Default: en
    Allowed: sq ar es_AR az eu pt_BR bg ca hr cs da nl en et fi fr de el he hu id it ja kk ko lv lt no fa pl pt ro ru sr zh_CN sk sl es sv th zh_TW tr tk va vi cy

--prefix <prefix> Installation Directory
    Default: ***unknown variable platform_install_directory***/NewTek/LightWave_2018.0.3

--expand_python_PySide <expand_python_PySide> PySide 1.2.4
    Default: 1

--expand_python_pywin32 <expand_python_pywin32> pywin32 2.19

--expand_python_WinPDB <expand_python_WinPDB> WinPDB 1.4.8

--expand_python_MySQLdb <expand_python_MySQLdb> MySQLdb 1.2.5

--expand_python_Nose <expand_python_Nose> Nose 1.3.8

--expand_python_NumPy <expand_python_NumPy> NumPy 1.9.2

--expand_python_runtime <expand_python_runtime> Expand Python Runtime

--register_lws <register_lws> LightWave Scene (.lws)

--register_lwo <register_lwo> LightWave Object (.lwo)

--register_extensions <register_extensions> Register File Extensions

--node_advanced <node_advanced> Would you like to configure advanced options for the Network Render Controller Service?
    Default: 0

--node_operation_type <node_operation_type> Select the NRC Service operation type
    Default: task_tray
    Allowed: task_tray service

--node_account_type <node_account_type> Select the NRC Service account
    Default: user
    Allowed: user network system

--nrc_account_name <nrc_account_name> Account Name*
    Default: .\Marander

--nrc_account_pass <nrc_account_pass> Account Password*
    Default:

--logoutput <logoutput> Output Destination
    Default: console
    Allowed: console file

--loglevel <loglevel> Logging Level
    Default: warn
    Allowed: info warn error

--logfilename <logfilename> Log file
    Default:

--fallbackport <fallbackport> Base fallback port
    Default: 29572

--nodeid <nodeid> Network Render Controller Service Identifier
    Default: M-ARTSTATION NRC Service

--Setup <Setup> Setup Type
    Default: Typical
    Allowed: Typical Screamernet Custom
    Last edited by Marander; 03-30-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revanto View Post
    Yes, but it would be nice not to have to login to something to see what has changed.
    Didn't you need to log into this forum?

Didn't you need to log into lightwave3d.com to download the update...from the link Chuck posted at the start of this thread?

The internet is getting really hard these days...
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wilde View Post
    Thanks!

With the frequency of releases, I wish LightWave was a self-updating software. Every time I have to install it again, copy all the plugins and configs I use. LW should be able to install updates in the same folder.
    It's probably a terrible idea for any number of reasons I'm happily ignorant of, but I've started duplicating the files in LW's Application Support folder (not sure what the Windows equivalent location is), complete with renaming all the files that include the version number. I haven't run into a problem so far, and it's saved me a lot of tedious exporting and reloading of keyboard and menu files.

It's a simple enough operation that I would imagine it could be folded into the installer (with the added benefit that the devs know what's changed, and could either not copy over, convert, or update any config files that are different).

New update :

LightWave 2018.0.3 (Build 3066) Final Release Change Log - Mar 29, 2018

Corrected the Windows Installer script to restore the 'Custom' component-selection page.
    Corrected handle drawing on the Feedback Agent's 'enhanced' capture mechanism for displays with vertical resolutions lower than 1200.

LB-834 in a different way. The old fix was causing significant slowdowns in switching layers in Modeler, as it invalidated the meshes every time the current layer was switched.
    LB-4666 Auto scene saving resets VPR
    LB-4667 If a previously added Scene task is no longer valid when the NRC Controller starts -- i.e., scene file, content or output path no longer exist -- it will not be restored to the Task list.

LWB-3045 F10 render fails silently - if image saving fails
    LWB-3456 Motion render buffer did not work unless motion blur was on in camera and there was actual deformation at the start time of the frame.
    LWB-3476 The NRC Service now checks all acceptable plug-in paths when validating the environment.
    LWB-3494 'visible to camera' still able to be selected for environment light and point light.
    LWB-3507 Corrected a typo in a warning dialog's text message.
    LWB-3512 Crashes when trying to make a path.
    LWB-3518 Can't change Motion Blur sub-frames value using the keyboard
    LWB-3527 Fixed slowdown when switching layers in Modeler. Meshes are no longer being invalidated when switching layers. Instead syncs for VMAP changes/add/remove are propagated to all meshes. Mesh validation is then done when layer switching to it, and only if needed, instead of always invalidating the mesh.
    LWB-3541 Camera imported with alembic flips rotation if we move any other item
    LWB-3542 Gizmo Transform
    LWB-3549 heatshrink is not working correctly with tablet
    LWB-3553 rendering status in mac icon app bar only show blank rendering status
    LWB-3559 Unaffected by Fog
    LWB-3561 LightWave 2018.0.2 TweakTool broken
    LWB-3566 Splinebridge fixed when the first selection outline points are less than the second selection outline points
    LWB-3569 Save All Objects command doesn't save objects two folders deep
    LWB-3572 GUI Checkmark/Name Bug in MDD Multi-Loader
    LWB-3573 MDD Multi-Baker vs Multi-Loader File Name Discrepancy
    LWB-3574 Crash on VPR or render. OpaquePolygon function wasn't copying vertexIndexes.
    LWB-3577 Volumetric radius smaller than 5 mm isn't rendered. Fix determinate check in matrix operations.
    LWB-3584 Glow Image Filter "Intensities" Table Heading Position Locked
    LWB-3590 surfid = surfInfo->byObject(objinfo->filename( objid )); returns a null surface pointer
    LWB-3594 ray cast nearest point index or polygon index causes crash to desktop. fix invalid access.
    LWB-3600 Shiny black hair with HDRI environment Light
    LWB-3601 Raycast crash
    LWB-3604 Changing color in scene editor doesn't refresh
    LWB-3608 FFX Crash. fix for bezier curves.
    LWB-3610 RayClosest. Fix invalid access.
    LWB-3613 Make initial output render buffer "Final Render" checked ON by default (Save enabled).
    LWB-3615 Localize issue.
    LWB-3618 Mouse dragging DOF circle values not smooth
    LWB-3620 Particle system crashes immediately
    LWB-3621 The beauty buffer from external renderers is not saved while F10 rendering
    LWB-3623 Preview playback not working
    LWB-3624 Spotlight cone angle sharpness. restore previous behavior for spotlights with area.
    LWB-3628 FX Browser, property windows load on top of each other, crash on close
    LWB-3637 With a tablet, copy/paste colors, can change the color drastically. Changed workflow to - CTRL RMB = Copy Swatch, ALT RMB = Paste swatch
    LWB-3642 Customize Interface Color - Background splash gives "Can't find Targa Plugin"
    LWB-3648 Switch node of the Multi Switch does not control.
    LWB-3649 Arbitrary render does not work. Single, Arbitrary and Keyframe renders will now render the current frame on F9.
    LWB-3653 Animation End Beep no sound.
    LWB-3659 render buffers not copy/paste to Photoshop
    LWB-3668 Particle Emitter Type "Object-Normals" and "Object-Verticies" are not right
    LWB-3675 Allow querying the ID of which node-editor is open
    LWB-3683 SSS for primitive shapes is broken. FIx SSS and odd shadow clipping
    LWB-3700 Hue value decreases each time it's viewed in the text edit field (Surface Editor)

LWF-1485 HSV color swatch in different places has different representation

Now back to the config files:
    I guess I am not the only one to reconfigure menu layouts, keys and add some plugins. So with every iteration we get new config files and would have to start all over again.
    My way was to just rename the old configs (LWM2018.0.1 to LWM 2018.0.2). Is that a valid way?
    On closer examination of the configs I noticed that all the entries are mixed up between versions. Is that deliberate to make it harder to spot changes? Are there any changes at all?
    Can I just copy all the menu entries from one config to the other? Or what is YOUR way of keeping the update work to a minimum?
    Greetings, Shloime
    ----------------------------
    Win10 64, Ryzen 5 1600, GTX 980 ti, 32 GB, LW 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Shloime View Post
    Now back to the config files:
    I guess I am not the only one to reconfigure menu layouts, keys and add some plugins. So with every iteration we get new config files and would have to start all over again.
    My way was to just rename the old configs (LWM2018.0.1 to LWM 2018.0.2). Is that a valid way?
    On closer examination of the configs I noticed that all the entries are mixed up between versions. Is that deliberate to make it harder to spot changes? Are there any changes at all?
    Can I just copy all the menu entries from one config to the other? Or what is YOUR way of keeping the update work to a minimum?
    Problem is if there were changes that affect configs from point to point, its best to start clean, and those configs may be pointing at directories etc from the previous install, with menus you can just save menu branches, plugins, you only need to scan the directory once so its a 5 second job, (use edit plugins rather than add as you get the scan directory option that will add everything in the folder you point too)
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

I use WinMerge (or pick your favorite diff tool) to compare config files between versions, pulling over any particular lines from the old config that should appear in the new config.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

LWB-3512 Crashes when trying to make a path.
    I've been testing the Make Path tool and so far it has not crashed once!

Quote Originally Posted by David_CGC View Post
    It's probably a terrible idea for any number of reasons I'm happily ignorant of, but I've started duplicating the files in LW's Application Support folder (not sure what the Windows equivalent location is), complete with renaming all the files that include the version number. I haven't run into a problem so far, and it's saved me a lot of tedious exporting and reloading of keyboard and menu files.

It's a simple enough operation that I would imagine it could be folded into the installer (with the added benefit that the devs know what's changed, and could either not copy over, convert, or update any config files that are different).
    A year later... I created a private GIT repository that includes all third-party plugins and the app support folder. On every LightWave installation, I just clone the repositories, and it's done. The plus side is, all plugins are now versioned, I can easily see the differences between the settings of each version, and I have all plugins and settings synced between machines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12