Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the LW code really that sensitive?

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Really?
    Not _all code_. But producing code which isn't prone to such high "casual" interconnectedness requires a lot of expertise, and very high levels of engineering discipline applied in all phases of development -- substantially beyond the levels normally seen in application-level development. Such practices (culture, really) is much more common in system software development, and particularly prevalent in high-reliability system software development.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Something i have noticed about 2018 developement is that the previous versions are no long available in our account. Is there a reason for this apart from wanting us to all use the same version. I have all of the version of 2015/11/10 available. Oops sorry no not all versions of 10 are available, my bad.
    Those other versions you can access are official point releases (version.x). Those are more tested and planned.

The updates to 2018 so far have been lesser versions (version.x.x) and have even included separate patches (FiberFX). They are best forgotten. However, they are still on the server if you really need them and dig around.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Those other versions you can access are official point releases (version.x). Those are more tested and planned.

The updates to 2018 so far have been lesser versions (version.x.x) and have even included separate patches (FiberFX). They are best forgotten. However, they are still on the server if you really need them and dig around.
    Sorry my bad i did not know that at all, i would not know where to dig around anyway. Oh agreed, mostly just bugfixes so we dont want to be running older versions, but for comparison purproses its handy to have them.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

At the school where I work we're always using the latest DCC apps... The grass is just as brown, patchy and full of ticks and burrs as it is on this side of the fence.

For example: Maya's "mayabatch.exe" that acts as the renderfarm's command-line Maya. As far as I know, mayabatch is the only command line app that will actually give you *different* output than the built-in Maya viewer for any renderer... and by "different output" I mean stuff like rendering a T-pose when the character is animated (and shows up in the proper pose in the renderview) or rendering an Alembic cache frame where the geometry is somewhere completely different than where it is supposed to be. This has been a "feature" since I started renderfarming Maya with v2010... It has been greatly improved since those days but even v2018.2 has them and it's just part of the job!

My new favorite is when companies build their code that relies on some other codeset that they don't control. Quicktime was a good one, since pretty much all the DCC apps we use here used ProRes and suddenly they had to frantically scramble to find workarounds because Apple was like "Quicktime for Windows is deprecated. Bye now".
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

Quote Originally Posted by beverins View Post
    ... and suddenly they had to frantically scramble to find workarounds because Apple was like "Quicktime for Windows is deprecated. Bye now".
    What a pain ... and this was one of the few things (other than marketing) that I was forced to admit they had done quite well.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

LW Watcher
    As a developer (not for Newtek) I save time by breaking it as I write it, so it saves time for the user.

Legacy code bases are the worst in any company.

I recently had to revisit a project from 2014 and since then my approach to the problem has changed, so you are always left applying sticky patches when maintaing old code. Back in the day they used to rave about the reusability benefits of object-oriented development and as a freelance I never ever saw that in reality at any company I worked at. Today object-orientation is good but development trends are moving to functional programming.

So basically any code-base as old as LW is going to be a pig to work on and it's going to be a pig to find people with the right skillset and enthusiasm to work on what must be obsolete code. I look back in horror at my C and C++ coding days because the languages are so primitive.

I don't use LW so much and compared with the software I am used to using it seems very old-school ( but then again most 3D software looks like that to me ). I think that what LW needs is fresh eyes and ideas from a development architecture point of view and from a user point of view. I'd love to see Newtek take some 2D people and ask them what they'd like to see in a 3D modeller.

Anyway, enough time wasted. I'm sure glad I'm not working on the Newtek codebase.

Aye, legacy code isn't only a pig to work with - worse, more often than not it affects core functionality of software and updating / improving those parts turns out to be nigh-on impossible. Lightwave is held back by its neurotic split between Modeler and Layout - a legacy development decision that goes back two decades.

That's been discussed to death, however, and has run its course.

Not many users are aware that the industry standard image editor Photoshop still is hampered by a so-called 16 bit per channel bit depth mode that is actually a 15bpc one. I believe Chris Cox, Photoshop's senior developer, (now retired) when he first added the code base for 16bpc support, he decided it would be easier to calculate with 15bit values, and at the time computers did not have that much processing power nor the RAM to deal with full 16bpc that well.

An additional 16bpc mode related decision was made at that point: when Photoshop is working in 15bpc mode, and the view is zoomed out by ~67% or more, the image pyramid is reduced from a 15bpc to an 8 bit one. This means visible banding unless the image is viewed at 100% or more, and still results in a LOT of confusion among Photoshop users - who attempt to remove the banding by adding noise, etc. Which is completely unnecessary, of course, because it is caused by a "feature" of Photoshop. I suspect the reason for this was again found in the limited video card memory of the time.

While these design decisions were arguably useful at the time to improve performance, they now pose serious problems to anyone working with full-range HDR imagery - and Adobe doesn't mention this anywhere in the manual.

And worse, when a user loads up a full range 16bpc HDR image (not that odd when doing 3d rendering and VFX compositing) Photoshop cuts off the full value range to fit in its 15bpc mode. WITHOUT TELLING THE USER!!! The user open a 16bpc image, which is then silently converted to 15bpc, and when the user saves the file, he is left unaware of the fact that Photoshop wreaked havoc with their files.

It goes without saying this should have been rectified a long time ago. But seeing this is legacy core code that affects most parts of the application, and how calculations are done (because Chris Cox thought it easier to calculate with 15bit values), it remains in place, and would probably require a complete rewrite of Photoshop's 16bpc mode, sending ripples throughout the code base.

Which is why Adobe hasn't fixed it yet. And the question is if they ever will.

That is also why it is generally just as much work, but a much more more controllable and bug-free approach to just do a rewrite, and adhere to modern coding principles/language constructs/code management. Scratch that old C-based code, and start fresh. But as history has shown, rewrite projects are not exactly simple to manage either. For many a commercial project it often meant the end. Between a rock and a hard place, I suppose.
    Win10 64 - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by beverins View Post
    "Quicktime for Windows is deprecated. Bye now".
    Best thing that ever happened to Windows and non-linear video editing in general, in my opinion. Despised Quicktime with the passion of a thousand burning suns and cringed every time a client asked for a .mov file.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Best thing that ever happened to Windows and non-linear video editing in general, in my opinion. Despised Quicktime with the passion of a thousand burning suns and cringed every time a client asked for a .mov file.
    And funny, because I had a Mac client once who couldn't use *any* of my PC formats. He was editing in Final Cut Pro. I ended up giving him an image sequence with a separate audio file.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Because of compatibility issues with Quicktime files I'm using AVI more often to exchange videoclips between different software on Win10. I don't understand why AVI isn't being developed anymore. Windows needs a reliable pro exhange format. Fusion can't even export to AVI.

Last week I was surprised to see that I could export to 32bit float WAV. Could that happen to AVI as well?

If you want a good video codec check this out:

https://www.magicyuv.com/
    Michael Englyst
    Lightwave 2018.0.2 on an i5-4430S @ 2.7 GHz · 12 GB RAM · Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    And funny, because I had a Mac client once who couldn't use *any* of my PC formats. He was editing in Final Cut Pro. I ended up giving him an image sequence with a separate audio file.
    I use FCPX everyday and am given PC formats all the time and while they can be difficult (as in the video file isn't as simple as drag and drop) to work with on a Mac, there are ways.
    FWIW, the format we use most here is MXF.
    Mac Pro
    3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
    32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    1TB PCIe-based SSD
    Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Quote Originally Posted by Schwyhart View Post
    I use FCPX everyday and am given PC formats all the time and while they can be difficult (as in the video file isn't as simple as drag and drop) to work with on a Mac, there are ways.
    FWIW, the format we use most here is MXF.
    I was sure there had to be some common format we could share, but he insisted there wasn't. No matter. Project and client are history.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12