Thread: XKEYS only Records first Number - AE XKEYS IDENTIFIER HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

XKEYS only Records first Number - AE XKEYS IDENTIFIER HELP NEEDED PLEASE!

i have an XKeys 128 box. When I go to assign it to a macro in listening and press a button on the x-keys it only records the first number. So if the key is number 64 then it only "hears" the number 6. Which causes problems.

The assignments on the XKeys are all their number (1 to 128) with the programming of Number Down, Number Up and 100ms as the delay time.

So for the number 75 it would be Seven Down, Seven Up, Five Down, Five Up

What do I need to do so that the TriCaster 860 Advanced Edition sees the XKEYS as unique key identifiers? Or how do I make it so that the numbers on the XKEYs programming is recognized?

PREFERABLY, how do I make the XKEYS have unique identifiers?

You can't do what you are trying to do - in TriCaster, macro shortcuts can only be keyboard shortcuts that exist in reality. There is no "64" on your Windows keyboard, therefore that is not a real shortcut. Programming Xkeys to send a "6" followed by a "4" is not the same as "64". TriCaster only "sees" the first keypress, the "6" key.

I know it's difficult to come up with 128 unique key combinations, believe me I do! The first thing you can do is go to Macros > System Commands and UNCHECK default shortcuts that you might never ever use, thus freeing up a lot of keys for other uses. Then consider that with Xkeys, you CAN use modifiers like SHIFT, CTRL, and ALT, and COMBINATIONS of those as well, along with any key, so that multiplies the available combinations.

In the MacroWorks software for Xkeys, you can assign virtual Function Keys F13-F24 and those will work with TriCaster macros. So you have those 12 keys, plus their variations -

F13
    Shift + F13
    Ctrl + F13
    Alt + F13
    Alt + Shift+ F13
    Alt + Ctrl + F13
    Ctrl + Shift + F13
    Ctrl+Shift + Alt + F13

One problem though, is that ALT toggles the on-screen PROG and PREV rows over to BUFFERS so any key shortcut using ALT will toggle (flash) the UI momentarily. For that reason, I've been avoiding the use of ALT shortcuts, which is unfortunate because that takes away a LOT of key combinations! Up to you though whether you want to use ALT or not.

You are aware that with AE, you can use Xkeys natively with NO programming, right? I don't use that mode since I can't then use modifiers in my Xkeys layout (like SHIFT or CTRL keys).

For what reason do you need the 100ms delay assigned to every key?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1