Thread: Checking for UV Distortion

Checking for UV Distortion

Is there not a way to check your UVs in Modeler?
    When I add a checkerboard pattern on a model, I have to send it to Layout first? Please tell me I'm doing it wrong.
    Mac Pro
    3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
    32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    1TB PCIe-based SSD
    Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

I figured it out. Loaded an image instead of using the checkerboard surface node.
    Mac Pro
    1TB PCIe-based SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Schwyhart View Post
    Is there not a way to check your UVs in Modeler?
    When I add a checkerboard pattern on a model, I have to send it to Layout first? Please tell me I'm doing it wrong.
    Hmmm... you should be able to see your checkerboard on your model using the Texture dropdown in Modeler.

I just did a quick test, made a box, created Atlas UV map, created UV texture using six colors and numbered 1 through 6.

Yup... in the Perspective window in modeler with Texture selected, I can see my UV clearly.

edit: Glad you figured it out

So, I really don't care for LW's UV tools.
    I have access to 3D Coat and although I don't know how to use it, it's Auto Mapper is pretty good.
    I would like to know if my workflow is correct:
    1) Export from LW as FBX
    2) Import in 3D Coat and do the Auto Mapper
    3) Export from 3D Coat as FBX
    4) Import the new FBX into LW

Is there a way to add the new UVs to the original mesh inside of LW? I ask because I already set up a few textures on it.

In between 3 & 4, I would then import into Substance Painter...do the work there. Then export all the textures separately from the mesh - combining the mesh and textures inside of LW?
    Mac Pro
    1TB PCIe-based SSD

So, I really don't care for LW's UV tools.
    I have access to 3D Coat and although I don't know how to use it, it's Auto Mapper is pretty good.
    I would like to know if my workflow is correct:
    1) Export from LW as FBX
    2) Import in 3D Coat and do the Auto Mapper
    3) Export from 3D Coat as FBX
    4) Import the new FBX into LW

Is there a way to add the new UVs to the original mesh inside of LW? I ask because I already set up a few textures on it.

In between 3 & 4, I would then import into Substance Painter...do the work there. Then export all the textures separately from the mesh - combining the mesh and textures inside of LW?
    So I am probably not understanding your question.

If you are using 3d Coats' automapper, then wouldn't it be easier to export from LW as an OBJ, import the model into 3d Coat using per pixel, make your UV adjustments, export out the OBJ with UVs, and then import into Substance?

Actually, I'm curious; why not just texture your object in 3d Coat and cut Substance out of the workflow?

you can export from 3d coat as LWO, it will set up all the nodes for you, they come through as standard nodes but all the images are in the correct place, going to 3d coat, you could just export/save for LW2015 as 3d coat should load those directly. (it will support things like subdivision that way)
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    you can export from 3d coat as LWO, it will set up all the nodes for you, they come through as standard nodes but all the images are in the correct place, going to 3d coat, you could just export/save for LW2015 as 3d coat should load those directly. (it will support things like subdivision that way)
    That sounds like a winner. I haven't used 3d Coat (or Substance, for that matter) but the FBX route to 3d Coat and then to Substance and back to LW sounded a tad bit convoluted to me.

Yeah, I'm a novice when it comes to texturing. Every time I've opened 3D Coat I get overwhelmed and never end up succeeding at anything.
    Right now I'm learning more about UV mapping in LW. ABF UV Unwrap seems to do the trick, but there's still a few things I'm not grasping.

On a side note, I found this video series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvvifMBkvPM (This is Part 3/4)
    He mentions PLG a few times. Although I have the plugins in my 2018.0.2 Plugins folder, when I try to Add Plugins modeler tells me "Cannot load external plug-in file."
    I guess it's no longer support in v2018?
    Mac Pro
    1TB PCIe-based SSD

Yeah, I'm a novice when it comes to texturing. Every time I've opened 3D Coat I get overwhelmed and never end up succeeding at anything.
    Right now I'm learning more about UV mapping in LW. ABF UV Unwrap seems to do the trick, but there's still a few things I'm not grasping.

On a side note, I found this video series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvvifMBkvPM (This is Part 3/4)
    He mentions PLG a few times. Although I have the plugins in my 2018.0.2 Plugins folder, when I try to Add Plugins modeler tells me "Cannot load external plug-in file."
    I guess it's no longer support in v2018?
    PLG plugins working with 2018, not checked with last 0.2. My shortcuts for is is Alt+Z,X,C,V.
    You should check also UV creeper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzIc2guJ4yg

All done with PLG:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eDN3j7WGHq...%2BUV%2B01.jpg
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wqG_kUsnC.../SightMMUV.png
    https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eml7w7UHq...GROMWireMM.png
    Last edited by MarcusM; 03-09-2018 at 12:27 PM.

I'm certainly not a Lightwave UV expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I sort of follow the workflow he was using in the video, although I don't use the plugin.

Generally, I will select polys for a portion of the UV map that I want to be continguous and I use Atlas to create a UV map, i.e., let's name the map "body"

Then I select another set of polys and use Texture > New, use Atlas, but use the same name (body) as the map I just created. That way, I'm just adding polys into the same UV map but in sets that conform a bit more to the way that I want the UV to be laid out.

Then I can easily adjust the map for spacing and layout and it makes it easier for me to lay out the textures using the mapping as a guide.

I also avoid into snarls or edge crossing, etc. Everything gets laid out nice and flat for the most part in the UV window.

When I change the UV interpolation to subpatch, things go kinda wonky and the UV texture is still stretched on the subpatched mesh. What am I doing wrong?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UVsubpatch.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	140578
    Mac Pro
    1TB PCIe-based SSD

The PLG UV tools don't work well on the mac, but you should be able to install them. I want to say the guy who made them never quite finished the mac versions, and then dropped off the face of the earth. I use both mac and pc, and LW works the same on both, most of the time, but the lack of fully functioning PLG tools is a real issue for the mac, and has been for years. This is part of why we need better native UV tools. Even on the pc side PLG aren't perfect. It would be great if for the next version of LW, they decided to try and make the "best" UV tools in the industry, and at least made some serious strides. One can dream.

When I change the UV interpolation to subpatch, things go kinda wonky and the UV texture is still stretched on the subpatched mesh. What am I doing wrong?

Name:	UVsubpatch.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	140578
    I kind of think you are running into UV issues because of the UV type and also because the headlight housings need to be separate from the hood in your UV map. The headlight housings have far more edges close together and you have some sharp edges where they meet the front of the hood, so if you try to make this one complete UV, it's going to stretch and compress near the polys that make up the headlight housings.

I would definitely part out the UV map for the model piece you are showing here.

For example, add the hood portion as four UV selections to the same UV map: left hood, right hood, left headlight housing, right headlight housing.

Then make the lower faring two separate selections, left and right, from the edge where they meet the hood to the center of the front of the faring.

Again, I recommend using Atlas and just select your polys and add each selection set to the same UV. Then postion the sets in UV view so that they are all within the boundaries and laid out in a way that works best for the map you are trying to apply.

But as I mentioned earlier, I'm definitely not a UV guru. It's just the way I approach it and it works for me.

I think I'm starting to understand the workflow now. All ABF UV Unwrap and Copy Vertex Map.
    There's still a little bit of distortion, but it's not too bad.

Name:	UV_v1.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	353.9 KB 
ID:	140579
    Mac Pro
    1TB PCIe-based SSD

Yup, much better using separate pieces to compose the UV.