Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wires, Cables, and Hoses, Oh My!

Wires, Cables, and Hoses, Oh My!

So I've gotten a bit used to creating wires in 3DS Max by using Renderable Spline modifier. Rail Extrude is insufficient for what I want.

Optimally what I would like is:
    • Create a spline and add modifier
    • Modifier has options for interactively controlling segments around and length segments
    • Ability to either export geometry as LWO, or geometry exports from LWS in FBX

Is there something equivalent in LightWave?

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    So I've gotten a bit used to creating wires in 3DS Max by using Renderable Spline modifier. Rail Extrude is insufficient for what I want.

• Modifier has options for interactively controlling segments around and length segments

The way I see it every 3d app except LightWave can do non-destructive ropes, cables, wires and such with few clicks.

Best is maybe using LWCAD (Profile tool for example) or RopeEditor Plus. But even that is very tedious and annoying to use. I don't know Max but I guess with it's modifier stack it offers a procedural / non-destructive way of doing this. LWs spline tools are a serious pain (LWCADs are not so much better) and there are no modeling modifiers.
    Last edited by Marander; 03-08-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Go get the rope editor. I do believe it is what you want.
    http://www.next4d.com/
    It's so good I even found the link for ya.

Dponts Spline deformer is excellent for animating hoses. Not sure about the export however.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    Go get the rope editor. I do believe it is what you want.
    http://www.next4d.com/
    It's so good I even found the link for ya.
    Does it work with LW 2018.
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

px bezier is great for that stuff, free tool, but the site is down..not sure it can be find somewhere else...
    you can eitehr extrude, extend or use a curve and change curve, curve handles from smooth to sharp, undo and re-edit the curve and all parameters as long as you have the tool active, curves can be saved out and re-loaded as path cures to activate the tool with thickness again etc, but it is it´s own curve format..so you can not load a curve made with native lw spline draw etc.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    px bezier is great for that stuff, free tool, but the site is down..not sure it can be find somewhere else...
    Somewhere else:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160322...r64-121214.zip

Archive.org snagged it before it vanished.

Thanks all. I'll check out PX_Bezier, I'm sure I can find use for it.
    Glad to hear Roper Editor works with 2018. I've known about it but never picked it up. Now's the time.

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Thanks all. I'll check out PX_Bezier, I'm sure I can find use for it.
    Glad to hear Roper Editor works with 2018. I've known about it but never picked it up. Now's the time.
    Rope Editor: works great!

I use OD copy paste external to Blender and do my cables, wires & chains etc there then I just copy them back to LW. Many years ago before I learned blender I used magic bevel for cables, it works really good.
    Last edited by Ztreem; 03-09-2018 at 02:56 AM.

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I use OD copy paste external to Blender and do my cables, wires & chains etc there then I just copy them back to LW. Many years ago before I learned blender I used magic bevel for cables, it works really good.
    Hey ZT - this looks like a working solution. Sure, I use RE+, but wondering if you could expand on what you have said: the "OD copy paste external to Blender" is a bit of a mystery to me, plus what is it in Blender which makes cables and ropes easier ... ?

Also, knowing just how iterative this process is - of positioning/adjusting cables - how is the back and forth between LW and Blender? RE+ is feairly straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    Hey ZT - this looks like a working solution. Sure, I use RE+, but wondering if you could expand on what you have said: the "OD copy paste external to Blender" is a bit of a mystery to me, plus what is it in Blender which makes cables and ropes easier ... ?

Also, knowing just how iterative this process is - of positioning/adjusting cables - how is the back and forth between LW and Blender? RE+ is feairly straightforward.
    I don’t have RE+ so I can’t say that its easier than that, just another way to do it. I just like how the blender curves works and that everything is parametric in blender, so if anything needs to be changed I can go back and edit the curves and the cables update automaticly. I also like that I can have ambient occlusion in the viewport while editing my curves so I can see if the cables is close to a surface or not.

Px_Bezier is great for doing cables, tubes and belts. It is easy to use, powerful and free. It makes a lot of tedious rail extrusions unnecessary. That should be your first stop. I did a lot of that kind of stuff in Max in the past too. Once I found Px_B I didn't miss it anymore. You should also get UV_Creeper, which makes it really easy to UV tubes.

Not sure if this is of interest but I’ve been playing around with the old Spline Displacement in Layout. Works really well (and quickly!) on 2 point poly chains without bones, useful on edges with a neg value, possibly fake dynamics if you animate nodes:
    https://youtu.be/H1B2XhmS910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast