Thread: Issue with Spark over Ubiquiti Access Points

Issue with Spark over Ubiquiti Access Points

I am trying to use a Spark over long range WiFi using Ubiquiti antennas. I am getting 70mbps throughput on the antennas, so NDI HX should be no issue for it. However, I am running into issues getting the NDI feed to appear in my TriCaster or NDI Video Monitor. If anyone else has a similar setup or has tried this successfully, please let me know. I am pulling my hair out trying to get this working.

Equipment:
    Newtek Spark HDMI on 0404 firmware
    Uniquiti NanoStation
    Ubiquiti Rocket (just a bigger nanostation)
    Ubiquiti router and switch

Our setup is as follows:

In our truck, we have the Ubiquiti router and switch. Everything runs through that. No VLANS setup right now or any other fancy routing. On the roof of our truck is the Rocket (antenna). This is plugged in to our switch. Then out on a race track, we have a Uniquiti NanoStation on a tripod, and a Spark HDMI plugged into that with a GoPro. So the Spark is completely wireless on the infield where we cannot get cables to. The NanoStation is paired with the Uniquiti Rocket which is on the roof of our truck.

With the above setup, when I am wired into the switch, I can ping the spark and I can login to the web admin just fine, and I see the video preview in web admin as well. However, I cannot see it as an NDI source in my TriCaster or in the NDI Video Monitor app.

However, if I walk out to the NanoStation with a laptop and plug into the secondary ethernet port, I see the NDI source just fine in NDI Video Monitor. Then I unplug the CAT5 from the NanoStation, walk back into the truck and plug into the switch, and the NDI source immediately resumes playing perfectly fine. But if I quit the NDI studio monitor and come back in, it no longer sees the NDI source.

Its really as if the NDI source is not discoverable over the access points, but if I discover it on ethernet first without closing the app, then its fine.

A side note - with the above setup, I tested a Bird-Dog unit and it is discoverable and works just fine. Unfortunately, its not using the HX codec, so the antennas don't have enough bandwidth for a 100mbps uncompressed NDI feed to play smoothly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mobile Studios USA
    Blog Entries
    Hi Brandon,

First try turning on the Snoop feature in the Ubiquiti User Interface which will help make the Spark discoverable over WiFi and see if the Spark is found as an NDI source in your TriCaster.

If that doesn't work...then use the Access Manager in NDI Tools (Free Download) and assign the IP address of the Spark to the TriCaster.

Yours is the same issue we encountered while experimenting with the Spark but we finally broke the code. We understand that the next TriCaster Advanced software will have the Access Manager software built-into the update....but for now, just use the stand-alone Access Manager in NDI Tools.

Good luck!

Rich

Rich Rubin
    Mobile Studios, Inc.
    NewTek Elite Dealer
    www.MobileStudios.com

Thanks Rich. I did end up getting it working now. There is a mode called WDS on the Ubiquiti units that needed to be enabled. I basically turned on and off every feature on it until it finally worked, lol. Its working awesome now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rohde View Post
    Thanks Rich. I did end up getting it working now. There is a mode called WDS on the Ubiquiti units that needed to be enabled. I basically turned on and off every feature on it until it finally worked, lol. Its working awesome now.
    We do testing the set of udnt device like yours with connect spark. So far I have successfully test it with a UAP AC Pro with a Cisco switch and Airmax router.

The next step will testing with UniFi POE switch with UAP AC LR and UAP AC Mesh with upgraded 60antenna. At the same time I will try to find a antenna for connect spark to extend the range (confit as PtP).

May I know where can find the WDS in UniFi controller? Thanks! I will post my test result later as well.