Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2018 fireflies

Lightwave 2018 fireflies

I've been using LW2018 since release and I think it's pretty darn good all the way around. But the one thing that is killing me is the fireflies! I've seen all the videos and read through every piece of documentation and they still exist. The only way I have been able to reduce them to reasonable levels is to increase the reflection samples to 32 plus samples. Adaptive Sampling is worthless. We need a fix! Other renders have solved this issue and NT needs to as well. Other than those fireflies the renderer is gorgeous! And it's really quick to setup great looking materials. Good job NT! Now fix the fireflies.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

TrueArt Support
    Did you try Limit HDRI.. ?
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2018!
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Did you try Limit HDRI.. ?
    Yes - and that helps but generally to me it seems it just breaks them up into smaller less bright specks. I don't understand why AS wouldn't get rid of them. If it is looking at each pixel and compares it to surrounding pixels wouldn't it be able to determine that - yes I need to attack this super bright pixel! I can turn up the filter radius but that just makes a blurry mess.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

TrueArt Support
    I know what should work: double (or triple) render resolution, and halve it in Photoshop..
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2018!
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

Yeah - that's a thought. Although my client wants final output of 4992 x 4992!
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

it would be handy to setup an example scene with a sphere, box etc, submit a bug report and then post it here and see if the community can come up with a solution.

Increasing ray reflections took care of alot of the problems - metals are very prone to fireflys

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    Increasing ray reflections took care of alot of the problems - metals are very prone to fireflys
    are you using conductor or pBRDF ?

both - although it works better for conductor

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah - that's a thought. Although my client wants final output of 4992 x 4992!
    There used to be a plugin for LW that allowed you to render out in large resolution strips and then compile them back in Photoshop for a final render. It's not impossible to set something up like this yourself. However, this is best for still image renders and not for movies (unless you have time and/or patience.)

Yeah, the fireflies suck....

Cheers,
    Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    Yes - increasing reflection samples to a high setting (32 or so) takes care of them for the most part but kills render times. At 5K, renders are in the neighborhood of 4 hrs. I am working with a wood surface/material and I do have a sleight metalness setting to make it pop, so I need to look at that.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Noise filter in Specular_Indirect buffer can help. But I can't see way to connect this in final render after use noise filter in one buffer, directly in LW...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Specular_Indirect NF.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	356.8 KB 
ID:	140275
    Last edited by MarcusM; 02-23-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    ...Other renders have solved this issue...
    They have? It still seems to be a matter of wrangling settings.

https://www.blenderguru.com/articles...-rid-fireflies

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    They have? It still seems to be a matter of wrangling settings.

https://www.blenderguru.com/articles...-rid-fireflies
    Dated 2014. Cycles is quite a bit more well-behaved now.

Devs needs to address the LW2018 inability to apply noise reduction to individual passes and recompose them into final render automatically, for starters. Users shouldn't have to manually recompose the final render by hand from scratch in a compositor, just to apply noise reduction to specific passes.

The devs also need to better tune the engine itself so it's less prone to producing such artifacts in the first place. Other commercial path-tracer engines seem to have largely solved this issue, so it CAN be mitigated/solved.
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-23-2018 at 05:24 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

nice link.

in regards to techniques for reducing noise, i'm sure they are working on it.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast