Thread: Volumetric Solids - Using Dielectric node but want 3D volumetric appearance on inside

Volumetric Solids - Using Dielectric node but want 3D volumetric appearance on inside

Wanted to make a tinted glassy surface that has 3d volumetric effect inside. Like how marbles look with imperfections, or darker areas. Is there a way to use dielectric node (or something similar) and get a 3d volume effect (turbulence) inside the surface that would be apparent when rotating object? Anyone have ideas on this?

I tried Hypervoxels on the inside, but nothing showed when inside a dielectric surface.

I really like the dielectric node for this application, but if I can't use it to get the internal 3d look, I can probably rig something else up.

Currently my approach is modeling as much internal geometry as I can, imperfections, darker areas, but it looks too defined, not homogenous enough...
    ironman

LW 2015.3, Vue xStream 2015

Quote Originally Posted by 1r0nman View Post
    I tried Hypervoxels on the inside, but nothing showed when inside a dielectric surface.
    Make sure your bounces are turned up enough to support details "inside" a reflective/refracive surface.

Also, are the hypervoxels born into a "open space" within the object? Or just within the volume of the sphere's outer geometry? Also, do the HVs spawn at all, or spawn but just don't render visibly?

If not spawning at all, and directly inside the volume, that's likely why they don't spawn. Try creating an "inner" geometry surface to the sphere, and then try spawning the HVs within that defined open space.

Not doing the best job of description here, if that didn't make sense let me know and I'll try to explain it better (maybe a diagram is needed).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Thanks for the reply.

1. bounces = ray recursion limit? I think? Yeah I had to set that to 26 in order to render all bounces within the shape. I would otherwise get black faces inside the geometry.

2. The geometry is single sided (as dielectric components should be.... right?). The i rendered the HV inside, outside, and partially inside the shape. HV wouldn't show inside, and when i rendered outside or partially outside, it would render the geometry of the HV that was outside the shape. I can share a snapshot at some point.

3. So you're saying copy all the faces, flip, so that there's air inside the glass to render the HV?

Again thanks for replying...
    ironman

So you're saying copy all the faces, flip, so that there's air inside the glass to render the HV?
    That's the idea, otherwise the HVs probably believe they're "inside" closed geometry, and may not spawn or render correctly.

Another alternative would be to use a compositor app to overlay the rendered image of the glass ball "on top" of the image of the rendered HVs, in order to give the appearance the HVs are "within" the solid glass ball.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

lightwave 2018 and vpr will help out since the render will be what the VPR shows, so setting up a primitive shape, sphere...and make it dielectric, add a null and use volumetric with non pyroclastic texture.

Thanks, I just tried 2018 and it works well. But currently haven't upgraded, so may stick with the compositing option....

Is there a way to fill a non-primitive shape with a new volumetric? It seems like I saw somewhere how to do this, but after looking again, I couldn't find it...
    ironman

Thanks, I just tried 2018 and it works well. But currently haven't upgraded, so may stick with the compositing option....

Is there a way to fill a non-primitive shape with a new volumetric? It seems like I saw somewhere how to do this, but after looking again, I couldn't find it...
    why not just use a dielectric material on a sphere ..then the new volumetrics inside of that, or hypervoxels? the problem may be that vpr and final render ..renders differently in 2015.

Well my object has a non-primitive shape... compositing a couple renders works ok
    ironman

Try Sigma 2, it uses a volumetric shader.
    "A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways."