Thread: Transparency Isuues

Transparency Isuues

Can somebody help me fix this issue with the transparency without having to use clip maps, also you can see the edge of the polygons at the bottom when using transparency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	140210  

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to use clip maps ?

I went ahead and filed it as a bug (LWB-3429), as well. Transparency maps shouldn't really produce such artifacts -- using clip maps isn't always an option.

UGH. They immediately closed the issue because it lacked content (other than OP's picture, which I'd included). Moon1, you should probably file a bug with content, if possible.
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-20-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Quote Originally Posted by moon1 View Post
    Can somebody help me fix this issue with the transparency without having to use clip maps, also you can see the edge of the polygons at the bottom when using transparency.
    Use a clip map texture instead of transparency.

If you don't want that to show up, use a clip map.
    With transparency, it is still "there" to all the rays being fired at it. That is to say, lights will affect it as in your example picture.

Not a bug that I can see; looks more like the need for a change in recipe, as it were.

If this is a case of you NEEDING to use transparency for some purpose, you would need to work around such limitations. Ya know, a clip map.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Loosing to much info with a clip map. Clip maps are good for solid hard edge texture maps but not for delicate strands of hair. FiberFx has to many bugs to work with it. I have sent reports to Newtek about problems with fiberfx crashing my machine everytime, plus it is a render hog. I am using Lightwave 2018. Trying to use image planes with no success as well, to many artifacts. Is there another work around with transparency or am I just up the creek. I see this stuff done in other programs with no problem. Is it just Lightwave?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture4.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	140223  

Dont use reflection or specular on the transparency areas. Invert your transparent map to make reflections.

indeed, i encounter this problem with transparencies (leaves), even when applying specular/transparencies masks : and clipmaps are to "cutting" for some fine transitions in some cases: there is obviously some problems with transparencies in LW18.01, or i miss something...
    Le Jardin Digital - Créations 3D / Design /Films - www.lejardindigital.fr