Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heads or Tails WIP

Thanks guys!

Yes I'm leaning toward the first sample with more dramatic lighting too. I like the luxuriousness of the gold in the second, but the initial spinning coin is hard to see in the second version. This will be for a viral video type ad (similar to my Trick Shot viral video ad) so it has to grab your attention in a feed like on facebook. So the more dramatic lighting in the first one works best for that purpose.

I used bullet dynamics with a lot of tweaking to the settings until I had a good feel of motion. The initial coin spin is keyframed until it starts to tip over, then the dynamics take over. For all the early splitting/stacking coins I had to use a sequence of many different techniques together to get the effect I wanted.

1) I did a bullet dynamic simulation until the coin came close to rest.
    2) I saved the motion out as an MDD (they tend to keep jittering so I had to pin it down with MDD loaded only to the frame where it's almost stopped.)
    3) I loaded the motion back onto the coin and turned off the dynamics on that coin.
    4) I saved the coin out at the end of the motion as a transformed object.
    5) I loaded the transformed coin back in and re-positioned the pivot point centered on the transformed coin.
    6) I cloned the transformed coin and hid the original. I set bullet on both of the coins.
    7) I set keyframes on the coin that will stay put and catch the second coin so that it won't move till later (using activate after last keyframe)
    8) I keyframed that new transformed copy to pop up and start flipping.
    9) I then let bullet take over the flip and fall onto the original coin below, tweaking settings and keyframes until I got it to land and stay on the coin below without bouncing off.

I repeated this process for the first three sets of coins that split/flip and stack.

I then set keyframes on all of those (set to activate after last keyframe) to hold them in place until the other coins start raining down and let bullet take over for them again so they eventually are bounced and pushed out of the way in the deluge.

For all the raining coins I set 2 keyframes of the coin up out of frame to start the coin moving/spinning and let bullet take over from there.

Out of frame there's a cylinder around the coins which is made from the top ridge from the pot of gold, to keep them all in place so the final set of coins matches the pot of gold. When the coins come to rest we'll pull back and reveal that we've filled a pot of gold.

I'm currently wrestling with freezing the coins in place at the end so that I can have them move with the pot of gold which is slightly offset/tipped in the next shot.

I've saved them all out to MDD with the multi-baker and loaded them back in with the multi-loader but I'm having trouble getting them re-positioned. Using world space keeps them perfectly aligned, but then they won't move with the pot of gold. Loading them in with object space and then zeroing out the position/rotation of the coin objects does something weird. It loads the first coin in position but all the rest are dropped down around the origin but not exactly where I would think they would be related to the original origin. Almost like they are at the center of gravity of the final group. I then instead tried using an FBX export and reading the objects into modeler as layers so I could have all the coins as one frozen object but they are only coming in in their initial positions, not the final resting positions even though I specified only the last frame. It was late and I was tired when I stopped last night so I'll take another look at it today to figure out what's going on.

Next step is to animate the start of the rainbow, which will begin as a pencil thin light when the first coin splits and filps, and then expand and grow as the coins rain down. Then we'll pull back to reveal the pot of gold in the external scene (transitioning the lighting during the pullback). Then I need to rig some of the plants so I can add a subtle motion to some of the plants so the external scene isn't abnormally still during the final pull back reveal.
    Last edited by Scazzino; 03-06-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    MikeS [LWProfile] 30+ Yrs of Award-winning Media DreamLight.com

Drag-and-drop-dead-easy™ ScreamerNet - DLI Constellation
    BOOK - Creating a 3D Animated CGI Short & 3D CGI Short Films & DLI Blog

BTW: It may not be worth wrestling with more MDD, transformed objects, FBX, etc. just so I can move/tip the 160 coins in the pot of gold. If it's wasting too much time I'll just leave the coins in world space. Make a scene null, parent everything except the coins to that, and transform the null to move the whole scene into position to match the coins world space. Then I'll be looking through the tilted camera at the tilted scene, but the coins will be spot on without any more wasted time. It's a hack, but probably quicker than anything else I've come across so far... LOL!

Have you tried playing with Chronosculpt? You should have a li8cence and it's perfect for calming down Bullet sims

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (398.36, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Thanks Ben! No I haven't but I could give it a spin when I have some time.

Here's what's happening when I try to use MDD Multi-Loader set to Object space.

Dynamics off, all previous MDDs disabled.
    All the coins have been set to pos/rot 000, and none have any parents (nor did they ever).

The first coin (the original) loads properly.
    All the rest (clones, using MDD Multi-Baker Clone Names) load with some weird offset.

Here's a screenshot. The original selected coin (yellow) is in the proper positon.
    All the rest (blue) are offset down near the origin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MDD-Multi-Loader-Object-Offset.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	140531

It's looking more and more like a bug with clone positions to me. If I have more time I'll try to isolate some content to submit it along with two other GUI bugs I've found in the Multi-Loader as well.

At this point the Dynamics/MDD/FBX gymnastics have taken enough time so I'm just going to hack the positions with a scene null and tilt the scene/camera to match the world space coins. Sometimes it's just quicker to hack it than try to wrestle with too many conflicting effects.
    Last edited by Scazzino; 03-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Here's a rough low resolution render proof of our new animation work in progress (WIP) – Heads or Tails. This half size proof tests the volumetric rainbow effect and the camera pulling back from the interior coin fall shot to reveal the exterior pot of gold shot. Motion blur, Depth of Field and Adaptive Sampling have all been turned off or lowered in this rough proof render. Handheld camera motion and plant breeze motions will be tested in the next render proof before the final high resolution render.

I'm now running into a weird bug I've never seen before. One of my LWSN render nodes is using a 3 digit frame number while the scene is set to use a 4 digit frame number. All other nodes are using the specified 4 digit frame number. This is in 2015.3 and I'm using Compositing Buffer Export to save out OpenEXR files. I've reinitialized the LWSN node in question. Even quit it and restarted it. This is the first time I've ever seen that. Has anyone ever seen that before?

Here's a new low resolution animation proof WIP testing motion blur, camera motion and subtle plant breeze motion using gradient modulated animated texture deformations.

Heads or Tails? Done and posted...

Here's a new thread for the finished project.
    Let me know what you think about how it all turned out!

Very nice animation and use of bullet Michael.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Very nice animation and use of bullet Michael.
    Thanks John!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12