Thread: VLC v3.0

VLC v3.0

VLC Player v3.0 has been released. One of the new features is that it supports native NewTek SpeedHQ media playback.
    https://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc-branch/NEWS

However, VLC v3 is currently not compatible with the NDI plug-in, so if you need that workflow do not update yet.
    Last edited by kanep; 02-10-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

VLC 3.0 is pretty great so far!

Any ETA on a 3.0 plugin? Or a Mac version, for that matter?
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

I don't know when it will be released, but I am currently beta testing a VLC v3 NDI plug-in, so it being worked on. I'm not aware of an OSX version.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Any Update on This?

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I don't know when it will be released, but I am currently beta testing a VLC v3 NDI plug-in, so it being worked on. I'm not aware of an OSX version.
    Any update on this for Windows? I'm trying to get VLC running an NDI feed. How far back in VLC do I need to go to find a working version (currently gone back to 2.2.6 but still not working)? I'm using the current release of NDI Tools.
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

The current NDI Tools will work with VLC 2.2.x (2.2.8 was the last release). The new NDI Tools (which should available soon) will add support for VLC 3.x versions.

Make sure you install NDI Tools (again) after installing VLC so it will install the plug-in.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

The current NDI Tools will work with VLC 2.2.x (2.2.8 was the last release). The new NDI Tools (which should available soon) will add support for VLC 3.x versions.

Make sure you install NDI Tools (again) after installing VLC so it will install the plug-in.
    When will NDI tools with the VLC Plugin for VLC 3.0 be released?

I don't have a date, but I think it should be out this month. (No guarantees) It will be included with the NDI Tools 3.5 release.
    Last edited by kanep; 05-09-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Hello,
    I just installed VLC 3.0.6 , as well as NewTek Tools version 3.8. After some uninstall and reinstalls, I was able to get VLC to see the NewTek NDI video and Audio outputs. I chose a short video to loop, the Studio Monitor on the same system saw the VLC as an option for an NDI feed, and my other system saw it as well. The Studio Monitor on the local system with VLC broadcasted the video the first time, then went to a green screen. The audio continues to play through the looping of the media in VLC. The second system on my network played a black screen only, and did not receive an audio feed either.

I did a fresh install of VLC and NewTek on another laptop on the network, and I was successful at getting the video and the audio to work for a while, then the video froze, the audio kept working, and a green screen showed up.

Any suggestions here? I think this technology is going to change everything so I want to make sure that I can make all of the basics work to their fullest. I use VLC frequently, and the combination will be amazing when it works. All help is appreciated.

Paul
    Last edited by BambooStrat; 04-21-2019 at 01:44 AM.

The green output issue is caused by the having 'Automatic' or 'Direct3D 11' hardware accelerated decoding selected. Change it to 'Disabled' or 'DXVA 2.0' and it will not turn green.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    The green output issue is caused by the having 'Automatic' or 'Direct3D 11' hardware accelerated decoding selected. Change it to 'Disabled' or 'DXVA 2.0' and it will not turn green.
    Kane,

We have had the 'green screen' show up with other NDI sources before. In particular when comparing a Spark HDMI to a Bird Dog Studio. They were using the same source, same network, but the Bird Dog gave us a green screen (with flickers of video on occasion), while the Spark was always solid. We just figured it was an issue with our network dealing with the 'full NDI' of the Bird Dog Studio.

Are you saying this could have been caused by the 'allow hardware acceleration' setting on the Studio Monitor application?

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, Spark & Bird Dog converters
    http://reddogrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    Kane,

We have had the 'green screen' show up with other NDI sources before. In particular when comparing a Spark HDMI to a Bird Dog Studio. They were using the same source, same network, but the Bird Dog gave us a green screen (with flickers of video on occasion), while the Spark was always solid. We just figured it was an issue with our network dealing with the 'full NDI' of the Bird Dog Studio.

Are you saying this could have been caused by the 'allow hardware acceleration' setting on the Studio Monitor application?

Andrew
    No, this is not what I'm speaking about. The green output issue I'm speaking of is specific to using the NDI plug-in and VLC Player when VLC Player has certain hardware decoding options enabled.

BirdDog has developed their own NDI chip, if you are seeing issues, you need to contact BirdDog. I'm not sure what the cause of that would be for green output.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.