Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Part Move in Lightwave 2018

Ah, thanks erikals.....I have made room now!
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Bringing back from the dead...! In the section where a texture is used to move parts, the the spot is subtracted by the Mesh Part's centre and fed into the textures Position. Its works really well but can't figure out what is happening. Can someone familiar with this explain how it works? I can see it has other uses but can't get my head around it

Quote Originally Posted by raw-m View Post
    Bringing back from the dead...! In the section where a texture is used to move parts, the the spot is subtracted by the Mesh Part's centre and fed into the textures Position. Its works really well but can't figure out what is happening. Can someone familiar with this explain how it works? I can see it has other uses but can't get my head around it
    How I think of it is the subtraction moves each point in a part to the part center. Then when that position is fed into the texture each point in the part gets the same texture value so in the end each point in a part is displaced the same as all its sister points. Does that make it clear? I have been told that I should work on the tutorial to make things clearer.

Thanks! I understand the subtraction and basically zeroing out the position. I’m not quite understanding how, when the texture’s bump output is connected, the parts look like they move back to their starting position with the addition of the texture. Other than that, it’s pretty clear

Hey, that's really neat... and thanks for sharing!!!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by raw-m View Post
    Thanks! I understand the subtraction and basically zeroing out the position. I’m not quite understanding how, when the texture’s bump output is connected, the parts look like they move back to their starting position with the addition of the texture. Other than that, it’s pretty clear
    Yes that is exactly what happens if the Displacement output mode is set to Displace. If you double click on the output node you can choose either Displace or Set. If Displace is chosen then the output of the node network is added to the position of each vertex. If Set is chosen then the original position of the vertices are ignored and node network explicitly sets the position of each vertex.

I see, that’s the best explanation of that Set/Displace option I’ve seen! Thanks for clarifying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12