Thread: The Last Starfighter : 35th Anniversary Special Edition (Fan Made)

The Last Starfighter : 35th Anniversary Special Edition (Fan Made)

Hi there everyone. It's been soooooooo long since I've posted anything as I've been working nonstop. Finally finding time to put together a personal project with a few colleagues and wanted to share. We are all big fans of the 1984 film The Last Starfighter and rather than hoping they would reboot it, we thought we would have a go at recreating the VFX for a 35th Anniversary edition. We are hoping to finish it by early next year and then tackle some other classic films. Here is what we have so far for the project. Just a few marketing images and a short teaser trailer. We are working on the full trailer now and will be finished soon. I hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/0zMi0QCi2aQ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Last Starfighter 35th Anniversary_Official.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	490.4 KB 
ID:	139960 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Last Starfighter_Concept Poster01.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	717.8 KB 
ID:	139959 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Last Starfighter_Promotional01.jpg 
Views:	754 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	139958

Thanks
    TheMightySpud
    Last edited by TheMightySpud; 02-06-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Love this movie. VFX look awesome!

Cool! I haven't watched that in many years, but I always liked it. The primitive (but cool) CG is probably the thing that has kept it from being shown on TV more often. Can't wait to see the "death blossom" shot redux.

I watched Krull recently, and my first thought was, they should do a "special edition" where they re-do the VFX. The rest of the film looks great, the cast and sound track are great. The VFX are pretty bad though, especially the blurry, distorted, shots of the main bad guy, which seem to be covering a creature suit that didn't work, even though it did look pretty creepy. If they still have the film negative, they could re-key all the blue screen stuff with today's tools, and create a new version of the bad guy with either CG, or new footage of a guy in more functional costume. In any case, they could have a great looking version of the film without having to reshoot anything with the actors. The sets and locations were very well shot. In other words, it wouldn't cost much for the studio to move the film from "cult classic" to "classic". At that point they could make more money from it being shown on TV etc.

Looking forward to seeing the full trailer! I also love Krull, even have it on DVD and totally agree it would be great if they remastered/re-key the blue-screen stuff and re-did the bad guy. I do hope they NEVER remake the movie though coz it's great as it is. This is a prime example where modern day CGI would enhance an already great movie.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

I love it too...great Project!

Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the full trailer! I also love Krull, even have it on DVD and totally agree it would be great if they remastered/re-key the blue-screen stuff and re-did the bad guy. I do hope they NEVER remake the movie though coz it's great as it is. This is a prime example where modern day CGI would enhance an already great movie.
    Agreed. No remake. Most of the other aspects of the film are about as close as anyone came to LOTR level fantasy on film. The production values were very high, and the actors were good. That's why I thought it could easily be transformed by cleaning up the VFX. Krull was simply a victim of the time it was made, and probably time and budget constraints. The problems with the creature, and some of the bad keys on the actors in those climactic scenes suggest that they ran out of time or money, after starting as a high budget project by the looks of it. It seems like it was a big budget attempt to answer Star Wars' epic fantasy, that almost made it. Some of the VFX are the biggest reason it wasn't given it's due.

Back on topic to The Last Star Fighter, I haven't seen it in a long time, so it's hard for me to say how well it holds up, until I watch it again, but it was a great concept, and had a lot of cool scenes, so I'm looking forward to this new edition.