Thread: TC1 SDI Embedded Tally

TC1 SDI Embedded Tally

SDI embedded tally is part of our existing work flow between our 460AE and our Blackmagic Design Camera Converters.

Unfortunately, this feature is not included in the TC1, so we've been running without Tally since we got it.

We would love to have this feature included.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    SDI embedded tally is part of our existing work flow between our 460AE and our Blackmagic Design Camera Converters.

Unfortunately, this feature is not included in the TC1, so we've been running without Tally since we got it.

We would love to have this feature included.
    Lee, I know you don't want to spend anymore money to fix something that should be working but check out these tally lights that run over Wifi. I helped a client get into a setup of these and I gotta admit they are pretty darn cool.

http://www.cuebi.com/#intro
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Just as a general remark, not intended to rule anything out, it's my impression that adoption of tally over SDI as a standard never really happened. It's pretty much exclusive to BMD as far as I know ... and with NDIs advantages in this and most other respects going forward (including near universal proliferation), I suspect this might not enjoy a high priority.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Pretty universal on the switching side, but other than Jeff's (really awesome) NDI monitor, I'm not aware of a product which gives us video, return video, tally, and coms over NDI, and just one of Jeff's monitors costs more than our entire investment in fiber.

I mean sure. We could cludge something together with a Spark for video and a NUC for return video and XLR for coms and WiFi for tally and edison for camera power..... but right now we have it all over one cable. All we're missing is tally, which works great on the 460.
    www.avprva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    Pretty universal on the switching side, but other than Jeff's (really awesome) NDI monitor, I'm not aware of a product which gives us video, return video, tally, and coms over NDI
    Well, a single network connection can clearly handle NDI video streams in two (or 10) directions, and tally is native to NDI - but I would love to see an NDI native comms implementation. Still and all, I do think that - going forward - SDI is gradually going to be less and less relevant. I honestly think it's inevitable. I realize you're dealing in the present and don't mean to sound unsympathetic, just commenting on trends the way these affect priorities.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

No, I'm totally with you in looking forward to it!
    www.avprva.com

Hey so. It turns out this actually does work.
    www.avprva.com

Did you have to do something to make it work?

Somehow all our BMD camera converters had lost their camera numbers. Setting them back to 1 through 4 fixed the problem for us. We didn't think to check that after support said the feature wasn't supported. But we used our 460, realized something was up. Then our 460 died during rehearsal, we rolled out the TC1, and were pleasantly surprised.
    www.avprva.com

Well that is cool except for the Tricaster going out during rehearsal...

Is there any documentation that outlines how the camera ID is assigned, since physical inputs can be placed on multiple input buttons, etc? Is there a way to ID a camera that might be fed by an external NDI converter? (IE you have more than 4 SDI cameras on a 460/TC1, with cam #5-8 coming in via a NC1?)

The new BMD Smpte Fiber converter looks like a very interesting solution for my problems since it pretty much addresses almost all my concerns that the original Atem Converter left me wanting in a setup that is more bullet proof than using NDI with bird dog units (COM, remote power, return video & Intercom) without the huge expense of a Sony or Panasonic CCU setup.

David

Looks very cool but ~$4 a foot is not cheap room say the least

Pretty sure it's going to follow the switcher row input number, but who knows if it'd work on an NC1 or not.

We also went with a hybrid fiber solution so we could power cameras and monitors. We got (and now sell) the Fieldcast gear, which takes advantage of our existing BMD converters. It's a pretty great setup for those of us working below a studio CCU level. It's not cheap, but we kept breaking the LC fibers and needed to do something more robust either way. This was still a fraction the cost of going to triax or SMPTE cameras. I do wish I had iris control, though - the few times a year I rent HXC-100s are glorious.
    www.avprva.com