Thread: Delete Account

Delete Account

Hi, is there an admin who can delete this account please? Thank you!

P.S. Still a NewTek customer. Just don't need this account.

Bumping this thread. Any admins or moderators out there who can help?

Might want to send a PM to "SBowie" explaining your needs.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Just to comment on this topic generally (not this specific case), we only consider account deletion in exceptional cases. This limitation is very common in forums, actually almost the rule (look up "vBulletin account deletion" for countless references) ... and the policy is only partly based on forum software functionality.

In general, posting in a public forum is much like writing a letter to the editor published in a newspaper. You wrote it, and in very tangible ways you are accountable for its content forever after (it's "out there", no matter what anyone does). Regardless, having asked for it to published (by posting it), you don't 'own it' any more. In the case of a letter to the editor, your words have become public domain, and now belong to everyone who bought the paper or who subscribes to it. Others may quote them or refer to them in their own dialogs. In similar fashion, posts here often become meaningful parts of longer discussions, are quoted by other members, even linked to. Removing them retroactively, as by deleting an account, quite literally damages the threads they are in - threads which others have a reasonable expectation of being able to read in their entirety without redaction or revisionism.

Now, there are various and occasionally valid reasons why someone needs some assistance in this context, despite the above considerations. Common reasons for the request include the following:

1. "I don't come here any more."
    2. "My company/organization name changed."
    3. "I don't want to receive forum notification emails anymore."
    4. "I don't want potential customers\girlfriends\employers to see that I posted juvenile\inappropriate material."
    5. "I just bought a tinfoil hat and cabin in the woods and want to erase myself from the internet."

Some of these are either misunderstandings or easily handled, often more or less as follows:

1. "Sorry to see you go, bye!" (If you are worried that an unauthorized person might use the account in your name, we can take measures to prevent that.)
    2. If there's a good reason, we can revise the name displayed for an account.
    3. We can close the account and prevent any further emails being sent to your address by the forum software.
    4. It's tempting to say "You reap what you sow" ... but if you can make a convincing case for having matured and this posing a real problem, at moderators discretion we can help you take some corrective steps.
    5. See #1.

Any requests of this type should be posted using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page. (This post is not meant to lack sympathy when there might be a valid reason for the request, but to provide a little explanation as to why the request is usually not accommodated.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

"My cat has been posting to my account, and she changed the password."
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Also one thing is to delete someones replies another the opening post that deletes other people's replies and sometimes valuable information.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    "My cat has been posting to my account, and she changed the password."
    A dog would never do that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

My dog would certainly try to eat the forum and all accounts within it, active or not.

But your cat (like all cats) looks completely innocent. They're really good at that ("What, me? Never!")
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    A dog would never do that.
    A border collie might.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    A border collie might.
    But are they really dogs? Really? OR ... are they some kind of advanced intelligence life form that just looks kind of canine? The truth is out there.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

But are they really dogs? Really? OR ... are they some kind of advanced intelligence life form that just looks kind of canine? The truth is out there.
    I lived with two border collies. Had to hide the car keys...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------

I think they might be smarter than my kids.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Just to comment on this topic generally (not this specific case), we only consider account deletion in exceptional cases.
    Just to mention it, please note that we have recently added a couple of related notes to the Forum Moderation Policy, as well as a remark explaining why new memberships are not 'instant'.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator