Thread: World Creator..Awesome...

World Creator..Awesome...

Well, world machine in all honour, but what if we had the stuff in almost realtime without having to build our world each time, and a UI that is user friendly, and for me that means a no node way..
    World Creator seems to have gotten it all right, will really have to check this more closely...

289$ for professional, the cheaper standard version however... has so many options lacking that I donīt think itīs worth it though.

Take a look at what it is over here....
    The cool parts is around over 7 minutes in the vid, and from there where he shows various filters, erosions, roads etc..in REAL time.

This looks really good.
    Will keep an eye on this for the mac release.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.12 RX580 Pulse LW2018 Fusion 9 Oculus Rift Gear VR

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Well, world machine in all honour, but what if we had the stuff in almost realtime without having to build our world each time, and a UI that is user friendly, and for me that means a no node way..
    World Creator seems to have gotten it all right, will really have to check this more closely...

289$ for professional, the cheaper standard version however... has so many options lacking that I donīt think itīs worth it though.

Take a look at what it is over here....
    The cool parts is around over 7 minutes in the vid, and from there where he shows various filters, erosions, roads etc..in REAL time.
    Yeah it is a good tool.. I've had it for some time. Too bad the windows version took too long to come along.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-29-2018 at 05:05 PM.

I'm currently demo'ing Terragen 4 Pro which will be 2Ũ the cost if I buy. Now will have to try this for comparison.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Depends on what you want. I believe Terragen 4 is still the best to render a final landscape scene, but render times can be quite long. WC2 is amazingly fast with it's GPU rendering, but doesn't have the versatility of TG for atmospheres and object (vegetation, rocks, structures.) WC2 is a great tool for Unreal/Unity. Terragen has animation tools, but again, long render times. WC has the potential for (future) animation if they choose to go that route.

Take a look at their forums and you can see the focus of each just by reading the topic titles:
    http://www.world-creator.com/forum/index.php/BoardList/
    http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php
    Lightwave 2018.0 Build 3063, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800, 64 GB sys mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Depends on what you want. I believe Terragen 4 is still the best to render a final landscape scene, but render times can be quite long. WC2 is amazingly fast with it's GPU rendering, but doesn't have the versatility of TG for atmospheres and object (vegetation, rocks, structures.) WC2 is a great tool for Unreal/Unity. Terragen has animation tools, but again, long render times. WC has the potential for (future) animation if they choose to go that route.

Take a look at their forums and you can see the focus of each just by reading the topic titles:
    http://www.world-creator.com/forum/index.php/BoardList/
    http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php
    I never had in mind of rendering final landscape with worldcreator, just use it as a terrain tool, then bring it in to other apps such as blender, lightwave and terragen, donīt think it even is aiming for such landscape renders directly.

Comparing full landscape renderers VS a terrain generator...itīs not fair.
    Edit..well it got some other landscape tools, but I would say the main target seem to be landscape generation, not rendering..or correct me if I may seem to be wrong on that.

I have both.. but WC2 is for a different target audience. WC2 is more towards games though. And because Terragen is soo slow, I only use it for creating terrain patches. But even that is declining. I find myself using Terragen less & less.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 02-05-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Yes, that's what I was trying to point out -- WM & WC need other apps to finish what they produce. It's easy for people (esp. new to 3D graphics) to confuse tools because most have elaborate websites that don't differentiate the real intent.

I've done a lot of Terragen scenes @3840x2160 lately that can easily take 8 hours, but I'm sleeping while it's working with all cores & 64 threads.
    Lightwave 2018.0 Build 3063, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800, 64 GB sys mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti

Good info of the basic difference/preferred uses between the two programs. Thanks.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.