Thread: Feather Request

Feather Request

I didn't think this should be a feature request but support at NewTek says if their solution doesn't work I should submit a request here. So here it goes.

When recording an MP4 output from a TriCaster 8000 AE running the latest software update, the MP4 file that is generated will not import into Avid Media Composer (tried version 8.8 and 8.9). The editing software usually locks up and I must force a shutdown of Avid. I was told to download the codec from NewTek's website which I did and I get the same result.

The .mov file recorded from the TriCaster does import okay, but the file sizes are very large.

Any suggestions?

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    Does the MP4 file play in VLC? If so that means the file is a valid file. I would suggest speaking with Avid support about this issue and send them a sample file for testing.
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

I use the TriCaster recorded MP4 files in Adobe Premiere without issue. I'll have to dig up a copy of Media Composer and check. However, this is Media Composer on a OSX or Windows?

FYI, The NewTek codecs have nothing to do with MP4 files. The NewTek codecs are for Quicktime recordings.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

I recorded an MP4 in 1920x1080 60p on a TC1 and imported it into Avid Media Composer 8.9.1 on a Windows PC. MC imported it and it played fine from the timeline. What session format were you in when you recorded the file?
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Zane and kanep,

I am using a windows PC with Avid. The mp4 file will play in VLC but what ever our TC 8000 is encoding with will not import into Avid correctly. The TC1 is a completely different animal- I am working with the much less supported TC8000AE. It would seem that NewTek is not spending any more resources on supporting the older equipment.

Generally speaking, there is parity between 5-1 (AE), 6-0 (TC1/VMC1) and even the newest things currently in development in this respect. Whatever your issues may be, I don't think it's really likely to be anything to do with 'reduced support'.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

In general MP4 files are not designed for use in post-production. The full master quality Quicktime files are designed for play back in NLEs. I suggest you open a support Ticket with Avid if the files play in VLC they are valid files.
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call