Thread: Live studio teleprompters

Exec Producer TV Webinars

Live studio teleprompters

Hi folks,

We are producing a sports show and the announcer wants a teleprompter -- what systems have you found to work well?

Thank you as always!

Lance
    Lance ("L.A.") Simon
    Lance.a.simon@gmail.com
    (240) 400-0432

TC460, Advanced Edition V2, NDI Transmit, VSE-AE, LiveText
    Panasonic AW-HE120, Canon XF-305, Canon VIXIA HF G40

A lot of it depends on what features you need and budget. For a straight very simple script, I've used word along with a monitor next or just under the lens and that has worked. The last fully professional system that I used in studio, to include software and on camera TP monitors was from Autocue QTV. We bought a three camera package with a field case so we could take one of prompters off the studio camera and install it on a field system. It worked well for us using the LT software. So when you look at systems you have the hardware (monitors installed on the tripods with cameras) and you have the software. Software comes in various levels depending on your production needs. So allows auto updating on a network, for example to add stories during a live news cast, so it depends on the capabilites that you need. As for software, I am currently using Telescript into a more free standing prompter system. Presidential type system. Also if you are looking for an on camera system, make sure that your tripods or studio pedalstols are rated for the weight of both your cameras and TP monitor.

There are three parts to this, hardware (eg, mirrors and glass), prompting software and computer hardware.

If you want to start out quickly and inexpensively, Autocue's Qstart program is now available free in the NewTek store. It has all the functionality of previous versions (EG, mirrored text output on second video port) plus it now supports NDI so you have some real flexibility on how you set things up. With the NDI option you can use an inexpensive windows tablet and WiFi rather than running a video cable to a composite monitor on each head. Another possibility with NDI would be to use a mini-PC and display two outputs (one for a prompt monitor and one for an air monitor, for example). In that case, you'd probably want to go with an Ethernet connection, though.

As far as the prompter head itself, as noted above you have a lot of options and it's all dependent upon your budget and what your intentions are. For example, if you are using a PTZ camera, I've found that most prompter heads don't work very well due to the need to have a fairly wide field of vision (most heads are designed for mounting on camera on tripods/pedestals). I have one from Prompter People that works well on the conventional camera setup and a couple of small ones from Autocue on PTZ cameras that are OK.

Feel free to drop me a note with specific questions and I can share my lengthy experience with prompters (going back to the days of paper roll prompters!).

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Exec Producer TV Webinars
    Thank you for those replies. Believeit or not I found a $7.99 windows app that seems to work well! it even has voice recognition for auto-scrolling:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...atings-reviews

Support and feature requests email: teleprompterpro@philiplittlewood.co.uk
    NOW WITH SPEECH RECOGNITION ( https://youtu.be/NQ-tktKTha4 )
    Teleprompter Pro is designed to produce scrolling text used by professional TV companies and movie producers. Teleprompter Pro is the most user friendly and feature rich teleprompter available in the Windows Store. Teleprompter Pro goes much further than standard teleprompters with inbuilt functionality to record your performance. It also includes advance features like dual screen and voice recognition control. All at a fraction of the cost of teleprompters with less functionality. Teleprompter Pro is ideal for video and podcast production. The software allows configurable scroll speed, text size and colours. You can also load and save scripts from standard text files. It can also be used for learning song lyrics. The scrolling text can also be mirrored and inverted for use with teleprompter hardware. The program also embeds your selected scroll speed and text size in the script file so you can save the file with different settings for different users or different project requirements. You can produce teleprompter hardware very cheaply or just put your display running Teleprompter Pro next to your camera to enable you to deliver professional quality speeches. The app also includes full webcam support so you can record your speech, podcast or singing directly in the app.
    Supports Logitech Presenter Wireless Controllers and other wireless controllers.
    Features: Adjustable text size, adjustable speed, auto save, embed settings into scripts, in-built help, support for wireless controllers, Invert and mirror text, in-built script editor, duration and time remaining, super smooth scrolling.
    1 Day Free Trial so you can buy with confidence.
    Video Tutorial: https://youtu.be/G77yDxhtSJ8
    Lance ("L.A.") Simon
    Lance.a.simon@gmail.com
    (240) 400-0432

TC460, Advanced Edition V2, NDI Transmit, VSE-AE, LiveText
    Panasonic AW-HE120, Canon XF-305, Canon VIXIA HF G40

Anyone else find setting markers in the free Qstart (Newtek downloads) not working?
    I place the cursor on a script line, click on the markers icon and the marker window pops up. However, clicking on the + doesn't appear to do anything.