Thread: LIghtWave 2018 UDIM

LIghtWave 2018 UDIM

Super glad lw 2018 has this. Not much hyped in the product page but this feature is actually used a lot outside of lw.

What am I missing here? I know how it works, and know how to do it. But why is a single ten tiled UV a better workflow than ten separate UV’s?

Reco

Quote Originally Posted by Reco View Post
    What am I missing here? I know how it works, and know how to do it. But why is a single ten tiled UV a better workflow than ten separate UV’s?
    Put briefly, the benefit is the ability to adjust the proportions of the poly-to-texture mappings tile by tile.

When unwrapping to a single tile, you're limited by the need to fit all polys into that single space. It's also best to maintain similar proportions for all mappings in a specific tile, to avoid certain types of texture distortion/scaling issues. Together that practically limits you to a single proportion between UV space and spatial poly coordinates for all polys mapped within a single UV tile.

Using multiple UV tiles enables moving polys which need more detail into entirely separate UV tiles, with potentially greater proportions of the 0..1 UV space (and thus potentially more texture detail for the polys which need it, without impacting the ones that do not). Multiple UV tiles offer multiple UV mapping proportions.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-14-2018 at 08:43 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Reco
    Actually the real benefits of UDIM is lightwave following the standards of other 3d packages.
    We always had the ability to create multiple tiles in any material while maximizing the uv space in lightwave. But importing or exporting uvmap info in lightwave has always created issues.
    Now with UDIM there won't be issues because its a standard workflow with naming conventions, etc that any app with UDIM support can read. Everything just works. No more overlapping uvs, merged uvs, etc.

Plus many other packages, and especially game engines, are restricted to only one UV map per object.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Yep. This is one of the highlights for lw 2018 for me. Always hated getting files from other people and the uvmaps are merged in lw and I have to manually fix stuff in modeler.
    And when you send it back that's a whole lot of problem for them, too.
    Last edited by samurai_x; 01-15-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Plus many other packages, and especially game engines, are restricted to only one UV map per object.

B
    Unity import UV01 and UV02 from fbx.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-importObject.html

Unreal can use up to 8 UV channels.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...UVs/index.html

In both coordinates 0 - 1.
    Last edited by MarcusM; 01-15-2018 at 01:30 AM.

Okay, maybe I should have said *were*

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Reco
    I made the video above. As far as benefits go, for one, its essentially one UV map assignment instead of having to apply textures to 10 different texture channels. In some pipelines its not uncommon to have hundreds of textures associated with objects and with UDIMs, textures as assigned automatically based on the tile number instead of having to assign to individual UV maps. You're also sometimes limited by texture resolution, PTEX for example, and UDIMs will allow for higher resolution. In Substance Painter like I used in the video is limited to one UV map per object so UDIMs allow you to gain more texture resolution in a single UDIM UV.

Keyword there is automatic. Its really great not to have to do this all manually.

Thank you all for clearing things up.
    I understand now. Only one UV for one object is absolute a benefit. Following the standard can’t be wrong either, and import all “channel” images as one file will
    simplify my workflow. I’m using 3D Coat, and are not familiar with Substance. I’ll try it for my next project. Hopefully 3D Coat can handle UDIM’s as well.

Reco