Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2018 - Vertex Normal Map

Quote Originally Posted by Myagi View Post
    Polishing the UI code, mac version, adding some PDF or html doc with images to describe the passive group feature in a more digestible form and maybe add some more tools (based on ideas I have and/or suggestions) is certainly on the table. I had to restrain myself and first see if it works as it should and if anyone is interested, before putting more time into it.

Was there anything in particular you had in mind? The basic concept of the group buttons, similar to 3ds, would presumably remain the same. Stuff that right now I know are iffy are for example things like button drawing/looks, because I was forced to use the legacy LW Panel API in the SDK, and that the window position isn't remembered (I think).

Those results are what I was expecting based on BigHache's findings earlier in this thread. The FBX exporter has to support Vertex Normal maps. Any exporter that takes vnormal maps into account should in theory work fine, as the smooth group assignments are only relevant during vnormal generation for this plugin.

(Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with what's inside the FBX format, so I don't know how and what gets exported there.)

Thanks for testing.
    First idea what I have is:

- Opened plugin window all the time
    - All options in one window
    - Under groups numers should be smoothing value with possibility to change
    - In the same panel, button to refresh/update smoothing values (if not possible to see result in real time during changing values in upper option)
    - Maybe + and - to add smoothing group and delete
    - Button to online help as pdf :]

Check also this:
    https://www.blend4web.com/en/community/article/131/
    Last edited by MarcusM; 01-18-2018 at 04:52 AM.

I was actually thinking of a non-modal window while I was making it, but unfortunately I'm limited to what the SDK allows me to do. I wanted group buttons to reflect group assignments of the selected polygons, in order for that to work in a non-modal window, the plugin would need to be able to track selection changes (which AFAIK isn't possible).

I guess I could make a non-modal alternative command, that only allows assigning without showing assignments of the current selection (or a "refresh" button that updates the buttons based on the selection). Better than nothing. I'll add that to the todo list.

As for smoothing values, I'm not entirely sure what you are picturing there The smoothing settings are per-(LW)-surface, and not one global value or associated with a particular group.
    Last edited by Myagi; 01-18-2018 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myagi View Post
    I was actually thinking of a non-modal window while I was making it, but unfortunately I'm limited to what the SDK allows me to do. I wanted group buttons to reflect group assignments of the selected polygons, in order for that to work in a non-modal window, the plugin would need to be able to track selection changes (which AFAIK isn't possible).

I guess I could make a non-modal alternative command, that only allows assigning without showing assignments of the current selection (or a "refresh" button that updates the buttons based on the selection). Better than nothing. I'll add that to the todo list.

As for smoothing values, I'm not entirely sure what you are picturing there The smoothing settings are per-(LW)-surface, and not one global value or associated with a particular group.
    I can only tell what is good to work with. I am not familiar with SDK and it's limits but maybe in some areas LW developers can allow you more if you ask them... They should appreciate your effort becausa missing smoothing groups is big argument to depreciate LightWave by other software users.

And words like "LightWave is enjoyed worldwide as a complete 3D production solution for... game development..." will be not only empty words.
    Last edited by MarcusM; 01-18-2018 at 05:13 AM.

windows only?

Yes for the beta test. If it goes into "production" I'll likely make an osx version, I've roughly prepared for it at least.

cool, very much apreciated.

Hi Myagi,

I'm testing/using this on real project and beside non modal panel (i know it's problem to do it other way) what i miss is selecting all applied smooth groups buttons at once. Is there chance you could add that ?

I made quick mockup but there might be better place idea where to put button or just put "all" near select...

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sgroups_Sel_ALL.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	140543  
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

If you don't mind I'll follow up over in the other thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234