"Although LightWave has no way of generating vertex normal maps internally yet, Layout can still work with them in objects obtained from other sources."

The problem for me is LightWave IS my other source. I'm trying to create game assets for Unity and I have no way to create/edit smoothing groups/vertex normals.

What are you guys doing for your workflow? Purchasing another full 3D program is not an option for me. Is there a tool that can be had for a few hundred that can assist? I haven't been rendering in LightWave for some time and unfortunately it seems like all the updates for 2018 are geared toward rendering within LightWave.

This makes 2018 a non-option for me and so my software budget will (hopefully) go toward a tool that allows me to do what I'm needing at the moment.

On a side note, what, if anything, has been updated for scripting (C++ SDK, LScript, Python)? This is the less sexy side of updates and I've looked but haven't seen any information that has delved into this at all yet.