Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Love the new docs.lightwave3d.com! Great Job BeeVee & Co!

The problem with the .pdf manual was I think that it had just gotten too large, and had become slow and cumbersome to use. I *did* like being able to highlight and annotate it. I assume there's no way to do that with wiki.

BeeVee, I use Confluence at work for documentation, and mostly compose the content externally, then copy/paste in...

pdf is nice, but i've worked with print, and getting/supporting both a pdf and online manual over time is a total drag.

there is always an "issue" with conversion, either today, or a few years ahead.

an online reference is good enough (imo)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Wow, noise reduction workflow is GREAT!

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW201Removing+Noise+workflow#RemovingNoiseworkflow-DiffuseIndirectNoiseDiffuseIndirectNoise

I would like to have more information about better fine-tuning camera's Minimum and Maximum samples, specially with architectural render.

Another pages specialized in other areas would be fine.

Regards.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureña
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Thank you for your positive comments Please be sure to click on the bug report link at the bottom of the page if you spot something amiss. There are also user-contributed tutorials in the appendices, so feel free to contact me if you have a tutorial to add...

B
    An example of a topic that I could not find: the Hub (it doesn't start automatically when starting Modeler or Layout).
    Tried chapters: Installation, Reference, Appendices. Also tried Search.
    Maybe it's there but I can't find it.

Vncnt, you're right. I don't find it either. Please fill a bug report for that one.

B
    PS. Haven't tried it myself since I truly dislike Windows 10 and haven't used the Edge browser for more than downloading Firefox, but it does have a tool to annotate pages apparently. Anyone tried that?
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Vncnt, you're right. I don't find it either. Please fill a bug report for that one.

B
    PS. Haven't tried it myself since I truly dislike Windows 10 and haven't used the Edge browser for more than downloading Firefox, but it does have a tool to annotate pages apparently. Anyone tried that?
    I haven't tried it.. I use google chrome primarily myself. But apparently yes, it looks easy enough to use: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/56213...microsoft-edge
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-03-2018 at 10:37 AM.

B
    Ok, just sent a report.
    I had to add a fake attachment before the Feedback agent allowed me to Send the report to your server.

Btw I do like Windows10 (personally I don't like the Apple products for being different to the rest of the world - Apple users always expect me to adjust to problems that they cause and don't even understand themselves - and their attitude never changed in the past 22 years). I like Win10 at work and in private but you'd better install Firefox as the default browser for better support and performance when dealing with Unity3D WebGL content.

PS Believe it or not. I had to search the word 'annotate'. Don't expect foreigners to understand every feature that is presented in the user interface. Yes, it's sad.
    Last edited by vncnt; 01-03-2018 at 11:24 AM.

I don't mind OSX, but I'm a Windows 7 guy (like several people on here, I expect). There are too many reasons to really dislike 10.

B
    PS. The attachment thing is normal and a screenshot of what you're reporting is useful, especially if there's no URL.
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 (388.59, 4GB and 1024 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (306.97 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

8.1 person here. No intention of going to 10.

Win 7 here also.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    8.1 person here. No intention of going to 10.
    Funny, I skipped 8, but am happy enough with 10. Win 8 felt like a transitional version to me, one foot in the traditional desktop experience and partway toward a touch interface ... not quite anywhere, and certainly not an improvement on 7. (I had to use it a bit, as our TalkShow product shipped with it initially.)

Both at home and at work, I have systems running 7 and 10, and as much as I like 7, I'm quite comfortable in 10.

I actually feel much the same way about LW 2018 as I did about 8, in that it feels transitional; I will upgrade for several reasons, but anticipate seeing the things that have been newly introduced mature more fully going forward.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

congratulations, ben! - great work, very well done!

cheers

markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

Win8 ?

arrrrgh!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I like the simple approach it seems was taken. Less is more...until you really need to fully understand something. I think it would be nice to have some crazy nerdy details in some areas like the new render engine. And although it's not documentation, PRESETS for the render engine or even some SAMPLE SCENES that have different settings setup would be beneficial I think too.

Overall very clean and straight forward! Great work.

I used the link from the Readme.txt file (http://docs.lightwave3d.com/) and the page couldn't be displayed. Could be that port 80 needs to be enabled for this sub-domain? Happy to use HTTPS, though! If HTTPS only, readme.txt file needs to be updated in the install package!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast