Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: OD 2018 Tool Set Released.

lw's native layer panel does that already.. .its nothing new in 2015/2018. non modal panels have existed for a long time... but not every panel should be non modal.

I guess it's more in layout where tabs & column widths are a pain as you often can't resize to see the full name of an item.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

oliver: really nice addition (again) .

Some questions though:
    - Is it possible to have the sorting more intuitive like clicking on the column headers? cut/copy/paste could be done with a recognizable icon instead. I guess most people are more accustomed to these icons nowadays than a character (X, C, P).
    - Maybe I missed it, but is it possible to switch back and foreground layers easily? Or move selected foreground layers to the back and vice versa? Some simple arrow icons between the lists could help here I think.

Quote Originally Posted by COBRASoft View Post
    oliver: really nice addition (again) .

Some questions though:
    - Is it possible to have the sorting more intuitive like clicking on the column headers? cut/copy/paste could be done with a recognizable icon instead. I guess most people are more accustomed to these icons nowadays than a character (X, C, P).
    - Maybe I missed it, but is it possible to switch back and foreground layers easily? Or move selected foreground layers to the back and vice versa? Some simple arrow icons between the lists could help here I think.
    #1.. no.. not sure how more intuitive that would be then clicking an icon... but no. you cant click on the headers.
    #2 icons... no other icons for copy/paste
    #3 you already have the ' key, which swaps the layers... why do you want a button ?

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    #3 you already have the ' key, which swaps the layers... why do you want a button ?
    I think a swap button would be useful only because it is a part of usual layer functions people use. Kind of like if you add another layer to the current selected ones then swap. You can either move your left hand or take you right hand off the mouse and move to the hot key, or just move the mouse in your right hand to the swap button in the panel on the way back to the modeler interface. So for me I would vote for having it in the interface.

As far as #1 goes, sorting in many applications with lists is done by clicking on the column name. Though I don't think it is a question of intuitive design, more of a standard that most windowed applications with lists in multiple columns use. I don't think I mind either way.

That said, I still really like the preview you showed.

LIko: #1... we dont care about whats possible in other applications... we care about whats possible within lightwave panels... and that.. is not

as for the button, not gonna happen.. the panel is non modal.. and its the ' key

Oliver: I understand your point of view as a developer as I'm a developer too. But for the end-user, they want UX, not just UI. Sure, the ' does the trick, but with localization and different keyboard layouts, the ' and other key combinations within LW are not always easy (even PhotoShop fails here!). A simple button that everyone understands is a better experience. And yes, the user really cares what's possible in other applications and they want those things in their daily used apps too. I'm facing those shortcomings every f* day.

That said, you bring LW to a whole different level with your tools. And I'm a very happy customer!

Quote Originally Posted by COBRASoft View Post
    Oliver: I understand your point of view as a developer as I'm a developer too. But for the end-user, they want UX, not just UI. Sure, the ' does the trick, but with localization and different keyboard layouts, the ' and other key combinations within LW are not always easy (even PhotoShop fails here!). A simple button that everyone understands is a better experience. And yes, the user really cares what's possible in other applications and they want those things in their daily used apps too. I'm facing those shortcomings every f* day.
    Having explicit UI buttons is also much easier for touch/tablet users, versus having to put stuff down and switch to the keyboard.

In general, if you're going to offer a UI, it should be self-sufficient (as in, able to do everything relevant using contents of that UI) as opposed to also relying on user having a priori knowledge of "magic keystrokes" as well. From a discoverability standpoint, having an explicit set of "<<" and ">>" buttons (or even just "<>") in the UI between the tables is vastly more obvious/discoverable than relying on a non-visible/-discoverable keystroke for swap.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Having explicit UI buttons is also much easier for touch/tablet users, versus having to put stuff down and switch to the keyboard.

In general, if you're going to offer a UI, it should be self-sufficient (as in, able to do everything relevant using contents of that UI) as opposed to also relying on user having a priori knowledge of "magic keystrokes" as well. From a discoverability standpoint, having an explicit set of "<<" and ">>" buttons (or even just "<>") in the UI between the tables is vastly more obvious/discoverable than relying on a non-visible/-discoverable keystroke for swap.
    we will disagree on this, and thats totally fine.. my choice in the matter is to not gunk up the gui with additional functionality thats already a default keystroke in lightwave, well known as such to anyone that actually would use layers, and more importantly, is in need of an updated layer panel. to duplicate all the functionality would result in a panel that needs its own monitor, and that I am not willing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    we will disagree on this, and thats totally fine.. my choice in the matter is to not gunk up the gui with additional functionality thats already a default keystroke in lightwave, well known as such to anyone that actually would use layers, and more importantly, is in need of an updated layer panel. to duplicate all the functionality would result in a panel that needs its own monitor, and that I am not willing to do.
    You might want to confirm that when your panel window is open and active, that keystroke actually gets passed through to LW (on both Win & Mac).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718