Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2018 Announcement - Discussion Thread

Only just found out the new patch has been released already!
    Some brilliant fixes in there. The opengl smooth rotation works really well... Can't get it to glitch at all.

Well done Newtek and especially the devs! Thanks!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by mattc View Post
    New build out (2018.0.1) in your accounts.
    [WARNING] [2018.0.1-Windows] [Regression: LW does not respect -c command line argument anymore]

If you use the -c command line argument with LW be aware that it creates a mess with v2018.0.1
    It does not create a folder with the name you give but a file without extension, and several other files and config and presets folders at the same level.

Not Good!

--- update ---

It is worst than that: Once you've launched/quit Layout, then if you start Modeler its layout is completely messed up with a column full of button on the left and only one Tab on top: "Additional".

Yet I don't see the files LW2018.0.1-64.CFG or LW2018.0.1-64.CFG anywhere, all the config information are written in to a file without extension of name the name given in the -c command line argument. Both Layout and Modeler overwrite the same file, hence the mess..

This is a showstopper to me, can't use Lightwave v2018.0.1 yet : /
    Last edited by grabiller; 01-13-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    guy rabiller | radfac founder/ceo | raa.tel | French Lightwavers & Studios List

Must be your system, -c works fine here.

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    Must be your system, -c works fine here.
    Windows ?

Windows 10

Frequenter
    Just installed and configs redirected. Works for me under Win7
    Note:Installer directed to C:\Newtek\ Not C:\programs\NewTek\
    After that copied all relevant files to a mapped networkdrive (X:\) into folder "L2018_0_1"
    added a separate config folder there. All good so far...

@dee @fishhead
    Thanks for your input. Here LW 2018.0.1 definitely does not like something in my system.

For v2018 I have:
    R:\app\Newtek\LightWave_2018.0\bin\Modeler.exe -cX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\configs\v2018 -dX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\content\LightWave_2018_C ontent -pX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\plugins_win

For v2018.0.1 I have:
    R:\app\Newtek\LightWave_2018.0.1\bin\Modeler.exe -cX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\configs\v2018.0.1 -dX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\content\LightWave_2018_C ontent -pX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\plugins_win

You will say ha! the dots! na, I've tried 'v201801', 'plop', 'plouf', .. same issue each time.

LW 2018.0.1 then creates the 'presets' folder and a file named 'Extension Cache-64' directly in the existing '..\lw\configs' folder, and when I quit, it write a file named 'v2018.0.1' (the name of the folder I gave in the command line), without extension, which appear to be the ASCII config file (which should be named 'LW2018.0-64.CFG' or 'LWM2018.0-64.CFG'). Both Modeler and Layout do the same thing overwriting the same 'v2018.0.1' file, which corrupt them next launch.

Oh well, if it is just me I'll contact the support then..

Quote Originally Posted by grabiller View Post
    @dee @fishhead
    Thanks for your input. Here LW 2018.0.1 definitely does not like something in my system.

For v2018 I have:
    R:\app\Newtek\LightWave_2018.0\bin\Modeler.exe -cX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\configs\v2018 -dX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\content\LightWave_2018_C ontent -pX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\plugins_win

For v2018.0.1 I have:
    R:\app\Newtek\LightWave_2018.0.1\bin\Modeler.exe -cX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\configs\v2018.0.1 -dX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\content\LightWave_2018_C ontent -pX:\data\hubic\Data\3d\lw\plugins_win

You will say ha! the dots! na, I've tried 'v201801', 'plop', 'plouf', .. same issue each time.

LW 2018.0.1 then creates the 'presets' folder and a file named 'Extension Cache-64' directly in the existing '..\lw\configs' folder, and when I quit, it write a file named 'v2018.0.1' (the name of the folder I gave in the command line), without extension, which appear to be the ASCII config file (which should be named 'LW2018.0-64.CFG' or 'LWM2018.0-64.CFG'). Both Modeler and Layout do the same thing overwriting the same 'v2018.0.1' file, which corrupt them next launch.

Oh well, if it is just me I'll contact the support then..
    If it is a bug, make sure to remind support you are using French locale, just in case it is related to that. It wouldn't exactly be the first time a program falls victim for that error (since others are saying they don't see that error)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    If it is a bug, make sure to remind support you are using French locale, just in case it is related to that. It wouldn't exactly be the first time a program falls victim for that error (since others are saying they don't see that error)
    Very good point indeed. Albeit I'm not sure why it would work in v2018.0 and not in v2018.0.1 but.. who knows. Thanks.

Maybe just try v2018.1 instead of v2018.0.1 if v2018.0 works, there is a problem with the way windows works with certain locations when not using English in the os can't remember exactly what but I remember someone else having issues some time ago with custom configs and it was down to the os language
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    Maybe just try v2018.1 instead of v2018.0.1 if v2018.0 works, there is a problem with the way windows works with certain locations when not using English in the os can't remember exactly what but I remember someone else having issues some time ago with custom configs and it was down to the os language
    I've tried already, still no luck : /

It would be great if at some point LW would allow a simple update of the application, especially for the 2018.x release cycle. It's a bit tedious to have to copy and paste configs, menu layouts, etc.
    My workaround is to use a GIT repository for my third party plugins (if the license allows it) and config files, so I can just keep my versioned plugin library for each version of LightWave across my computers. I works, but having an automatic update function where in the upper right corner of LW you could just click "Check for updates" --> "Download update" --> "Install update" --> "Restart LW" and voila the new version is installed, would be a lot nicer.

- - - Updated - - -

Just found out today, copying a particle emitter setting to several other layers is not quite easy with the help of selecting the layers in scene editor, then hit p for properties and add fx emitters on to other layers,
    And also copy One emitters settings to all the other layers and emitters in one go, I donīt think this was possible in Lighwave 2015.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....44#post1533444

Quote Originally Posted by grabiller View Post
    I've tried already, still no luck : /
    Funny facts: by removing the -c argument from the command line launching Layout and Modeler, I kind of fixed part of the issue. Once I launched at least once the Modeler and Layout without the -c argument then put it back, they start to work in the correct folder. The Modeler is writing proper configuration file (LWM2018.0.1-64.CFG) in my custom folder while Layout still write its config file as "v2008.0.1" but this time inside the correct folder.. The Hub itself write in the same file instead of its own config file (LWHUB2018.0.1-64.CFG).

I stand by my words, it can't be just my system, there is definitely something wrong on this matter with LW2018.0.1 (a conflict of some sort perhaps ?).

Are you talking with support about it? (It won't get fixed unless it's a ticket in their system after all)?

Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast