Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2018 Announcement - Discussion Thread

Thanks, we dindn't wait invain. No other 3d application offers so much at this price. I' ll surely upgrade. Hope this will first step to a great future!

Definitely upgrading

Quote Originally Posted by Robert@ISD View Post
    Chuckling...

What a crowd.
    Indeed.

I'm limited in hardware options (no Octane) so if the native renderer shaves time off previous versions, it is a brutally simple upgrade decision that often pays for itself in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by GandB View Post
    If you "don't want to dwell on the past"; and let us in on why the blackout occurred, why should we trust that you'll not be doing it in the future? NewTek literally has no leg to stand on here. You're asking us to blindly trust you....yet again.
    I don't mean to point out the obvious but as a LW user since Amiga, I can't recall Newtek acting any other way*, and yet they still produce an effective/affordable tool. Go figure. It works and so do I.

* I was on hiatus from 3D during "core" so I might have missed something.

I will be upgrading looking forward to the PBR implementation, new lighting and cel shading to name a few. Luckily I fell away from LightWave during the dark time and only recently came back with a desire to place it right in the middle of my workflow. So came back at perfect time.

I think I'll upgrade, if PBR render engine delivers.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    if the native renderer shaves time off previous versions, it is a brutally simple upgrade decision that often pays for itself in a couple weeks.
    It is noticably faster, however for me the best thing is the speed of "working with it"... The materials, lighting, when used correctly all just line up SO well, it makes going from plain grey mesh to fully finished scene SO quick, its fantastic. No more ages spent tweaking this, that, going back n forth trying to make things look nice. It's just all so predictable and sensible that the amount of time you spend getting to the point where you're ready to hit render is cut down significantly.

This, for instance, took me an hour, start to finish to set up (modeling time not included, t'was a downloaded model, and rendertime obv not included. Also, rendertime will vary, but on my 6 core 3.3 PhenomII, this was 5 mins per frame, with HDR, BF GI, soft traced reflections, real MoBlur and voxels).

Surfacing, lighting, GI, volumetrics... just spills out wonderfully with very little time needed.
    Last edited by RebelHill; 12-12-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Nice job Rebel. So all this time you were a beta tester and you were able to keep quite in the other almost 100 page thread. I wouldn't have been able to do that.

Done in 2018? BB-8 at Burning Man?

Please share MORE like this. Is NDA over and you all are now allowed to share your experience working with 2018? If so, can you answer 2 questions?

1. New undo system?
    2. What happened to the new proposed geometry engine mentioned in the blog? Did it not make it through?

Looking forward to seeing a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    It is noticably faster, however for me the best thing is the speed of "working with it"... The materials, lighting, when used correctly all just line up SO well, it makes going from plain grey mesh to fully finished scene SO quick, its fantastic. No more ages spent tweaking this, that, going back n forth trying to make things look nice. It's just all so predictable and sensible that the amount of time you spend getting to the point where you're ready to hit render is cut down significantly.

This, for instance, took me an hour, start to finish to set up (modeling time not included, t'was a downloaded model, and rendertime obv not included. Also, rendertime will vary, but on my 6 core 3.3 PhenomII, this was 5 mins per frame, with HDR, BF GI, soft traced reflections, real MoBlur and voxels).

Surfacing, lighting, GI, volumetrics... just spills out wonderfully with very little time needed.
    Video and Animation Auteur

Quote Originally Posted by js33 View Post
    Nice job Rebel. So all this time you were a beta tester and you were able to keep quite in the other almost 100 page thread. I wouldn't have been able to do that.
    Cheers... though, how d'y'know I didnt just hack the NT server and steal it... I think ur being presumptuous.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    If so, can you answer 2 questions?

1. New undo system?
    2. What happened to the new proposed geometry engine mentioned in the blog? Did it not make it through?
    1. No new Undo system (sorry)
    2. Layout benefits from it speed wise
    UI Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    3 years and the UI has still not been fixed? Not to mention high res screen support.
    Parts of 2018 are using Qt for the GUI, but the rest of the GUI needs to updated
    UI Designer @ NewTek

So are we going to get a roadmap? Andrew Cross in the house?

Or will lightwave be left with users who are just too old to learn a new app as its customer base.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Done in 2018?
    1. New undo system?
    a. Yes.
    1. No new undo... but there has been some overhauling to the UI foundations from what Ive gleaned. Does that mean a more "undoable" thing is coming down the line? No clue, but there is (so far as I know) an in progress "swap out" going on under the hood. Not entirely visible now, later, who knows.
    2. Its there, but layout only... you see improvements for playback of deforming meshes and display rates of higher poly ones.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Congratulations to the dev team! Good work guys, and good luck with the launch.

rebel ... do you have any archviz type of render scene?

is it simple as Octane, especially AA and other settings ...

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast