Thread: How to add a texture to the simple skin shader

How to add a texture to the simple skin shader

Hello,
    I have a cartoon character, I added a simple skin shader, but at the same Time I have drawn some detail onto the skin... like freckles and some exaggerated shading around the eyes. How do I combine a color texture with the simple shader.
    Your help is greatly appreciated. Ps: I’m very begginner in nodes. I just know how to plug the material editor lol.

You can use the Make Material node to create Materials from other sources, such as Color Layers or 3D Procedural Textures. The Material Mixer is used to combine them together. For example, this node setup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surface_MaterialMixer.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	138745

Uses two Make Material nodes to create a Material from a 3D Crackle Texture on the Diffuse channel and a Veins Color Layer for the Specular channel. Material Mixer has an "Alpha" input (or you can double-click on the Material Mixer node to set it) which determines how much of the B Materials is combined with A. You can, of course, layer multiple Material Mixers for more complex layering of Materials.

mTp
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 12-06-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    You can use the Make Material node to create Materials from other sources, such as Color Layers or 3D Procedural Textures. The Material Mixer is used to combine them together. For example, this node setup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surface_MaterialMixer.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	138745

Uses two Make Material nodes to create a Material from a 3D Crackle Texture on the Diffuse channel and a Veins Color Layer for the Specular channel. Material Mixer has an "Alpha" input (or you can double-click on the Material Mixer node to set it) which determines how much of the B Materials is combined with A. You can, of course, layer multiple Material Mixers for more complex layering of Materials.

mTp
    Sounds to complicated for what he asks for, I think

just add a 2d textures image node, double click on it and you will have a menu to load your image, once that is done, set the correct uv map, plug the image node in to the skin node color input.
    Ps...to be aware of, using an image texture in nodes will not show up in opengl, as opposed if you were to use the standard layer system, then you would of course not have the nice shader materials, so use VPR if you can to view your texture.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	138746