Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photorealism and expanding the dynamic range in LW???

Photorealism and expanding the dynamic range in LW???

Hiya,

I came across this interesting tutorial the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9AT7H4GGrA

I totally suck when it comes to lighting but I am taking steps to try to unravel the mysteries of better rendering for myself. Anyway, since I am so uber-sucky at this sort of thing, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can set something like this in LW 9.6?

Either via settings, plugin or by using a cheat would be OK.

Even if it means I have to composite things in the end then that will be fine, too.

I appreciate any feedback on the matter. Oh, and my brain goes on holiday when anything gets too technical so if it could be kept to layman's terms, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

Well firstly you must use the srgb preset for your color space, that's sort of what the filmic blender setting is doing, just don't get caught up in the naming of these settings, sRGB preset in LW will give you a broad dynamic range that you can then grade down to your liking in post, Filmic allows you to choose some pre-set grading when you save the image, or you can leave it ungraded and do that yourself in post. But quite simply, you will always suck at lighting if you don't make use of the sRGB preset. The Blender video describes the process quite well, it's pretty much same same in LW, LW is very easy to light with unless you do it the old way that we did before the sRGB preset came to make it all so easy for us.

Well the second thing is that your surfaces should be reflective and energy conserving, with fresnel.

Basically the trick is simply good surfaces and the correct color space make lighting in a computer program as easy as it is in real life, just place your lights,(lights should have falloff) and that's it.

Download the DP lights, I prefer them myself.

But really, get those two things right and you can follow any other tutorial. Or just put a light in your scene and move it around, that's all there is to it if you think about it.

Reflective subjects need some sort of environment to show up in the reflections, that's either a HDR image world or a 3D environment.

Is the sRGB colorspace an option for LW 9.6?

At work I am still using LW 9.3.1 (getting these guys to upgrade has been a grueling uphill battle) but at home I use LW 2015; at home I use sRGB, but I haven't discovered the option for setting the color management in LW 9.3 to sRGB.

From information on lighting and tutorials, I've seen it mentioned that LW has used a linear colorspace for a long time, but I thought that color management wasn't in until LW 10?

If that isn't true, I would love to know how to set my work version of LW to an sRGB colorspace!

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    There is no colourspace option previous to V10. You'll need to do it all manually. For any images/textures you bring in, use the processing tab on the image editor and apply the FP gamma filter set to 0.454545. Then, on the processing tab of the effects panel add the same FP gamma set to 2.2.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    There is no colourspace option previous to V10. You'll need to do it all manually. For any images/textures you bring in, use the processing tab on the image editor and apply the FP gamma filter set to 0.454545. Then, on the processing tab of the effects panel add the same FP gamma set to 2.2.
    Thanks! I thought it was something like that, because I could never find a way to change the colorspace at work.

Thanks also for the filter settings... hopefully I won't need them soon because we are supposed to be getting our upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Thanks! I thought it was something like that, because I could never find a way to change the colorspace at work.

Thanks also for the filter settings... hopefully I won't need them soon because we are supposed to be getting our upgrade!
    Well, it's best to understand what's occurring "under the covers" w.r.t. gamma correction, instead of just relying on software to keep everything sane (because when you most need it, it will fail to do so).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Thanks, guys, so much for this info. I am eagerly awaiting to upgrade my version of LW but want to save my money until the new version comes out (Yeah, I realise that I may have a long wait ahead of me).

Info like what you've given is gold to me.

Thanks again.

Much appreciations to all,
    Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Mix Mash's tutes

Just tested the video part that talks about the color exposure on modo and LW.

LW

https://vimeo.com/246326184

Regards
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

And modo

https://vimeo.com/246324149

Video link seems not to work well.

Regards
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    Just tested the video part that talks about the color exposure on modo and LW.

LW

https://vimeo.com/246326184

Regards
    I did my own testing just now with the same scene - no matter what I try in the render settings, it renders in SRGB space - not scene referred, but display referred. How do we render this correctly in Lightwave? What settings are required? How do we light linearly in Layout?
    Win10 64 - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Ah, solved. As in Blender, the colours cannot be pure. Then it renders correctly.
    Win10 64 - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Adjusting the gamma for images seems simple enough but how do you figure out adjusting the pure colours from LW itself (IE diffuse colour)?

I found this and I think it can can others like me with LW9+...

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...ry/sg_cctools/

I think the picker plugin may help with what I just asked BUT, out of curiosity, how would one adjust the gamma of a selected diffuse colour (not an image) without nodes or a plugin?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Mix Mash's tutes

This might be a silly question, but:

Why do I want / need to mess with the colour spacing.

I texture surfaces, light them and let radiosity do the rest - with the help of secondary lighting if needed.

Got any good examples for me?
    - Ignorance is bliss...

radiosity will look different in linear as opposed to non linear space, non linear will be yellow cast overly hot and blown out with crushed blacks, but it's your choice

all textures have default settings 'default' in LW11 - but is default linear or non-linear?
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast