Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printing in Lightwave 2015

3D Printing in Lightwave 2015

Hey,

I have made a tripled mesh of a character and would like to 3d print. I go to the export options and there is no option to export as a STL file from LWO.

I have had a look in the manual and video support page. How do i do this?

You should have an export to stl in the file menu section. You won't find this in the menu at the top, only in the file menu to the right.

TrueArt Support
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STL Export.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	138651

I have it in File > Export > Export STL... like in attached screen-shot.
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2018!
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    You should have an export to stl in the file menu section. You won't find this in the menu at the top, only in the file menu to the right.
    The far right menu with arrow pointing down in Modeller?

TrueArt Support
    Export STL in LW 2015.3 is in either File menu (File > Export > Export STL),
    as in top menu I/O, Export, STL..

If you don't have them,
    you need to rescan your plugin folder,
    or rename configs.
    They will regenerate from scratch.
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2018!
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Export STL in LW 2015.3 is in either File menu (File > Export > Export STL),
    as in top menu I/O, Export, STL..

If you don't have them,
    you need to rescan your plugin folder,
    or rename configs.
    They will regenerate from scratch.
    I need to do the second thing you mentioned. How do i do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Piotr Kaczmarek View Post
    I need to do the second thing you mentioned. How do i do this?
    Okay i found the menu. The model in Layout is in overlapping squares. Is this correct? Or should the model look like what the model looked like in Modeller?

I’ve got a handle on things.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Piotr Kaczmarek View Post
    I’ve got a handle on things.

Thanks for your help.

I have some other questions: The scale of my model is tiny. I have put in the correct dimension in mm however the model remains at smaller than 1mm? How do i scale the model to its correct size, without damaging the mesh? I continue to have problems when trying to 3d print even when scaling up the model by 1900% –*to its maximum height of approx 19cm. Program used to check mesh is 'Kisslicer'.

I can provide someone a file folder to look at my modelling or/& STL files.

After scaling the model 1900% i have received quotes over the $10,000 to print. This is way out of my price range. The material used in the print are: White Nylon Plastic, Vero White Resin Plastic

Now i have watched the tutorial on 3D printing and i seem to have done everything correctly. However some of the mesh may need more detail to print.

there is no sanctuary....
    You have to find the right scale, do a test print with a 25mm cube until you get it right. The software I use is printer specific and I have to scale up by 1000 from lightwave. But that's done in the printer software, not Lightwave. Can you tell the printer service to scale the model to an exact height?
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 398.36
    LW 2018.5 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    You have to find the right scale, do a test print with a 25mm cube until you get it right. The software I use is printer specific and I have to scale up by 1000 from lightwave. But that's done in the printer software, not Lightwave. Can you tell the printer service to scale the model to an exact height?
    Thats exactly what i have been doing.

So there is no way to set up the object before commencing to the right scale?

Also does resolution really matter? and home many polygons should i consider when subdividing and tripling for 3D printing, or does this not mater unless the object in organic?

there is no sanctuary....
    When you export to stl are you selecting mm as export units?

As far as the number of polygons, it's up to you and what you want for quality. The slicer software doesn't do any smoothing, so go a little heavy to get smooth surfaces. Turn off any surface smoothing and subdivision, because that's what it's going to look like when you print it. I'd also recommend getting the free version of Netfab, it'll run a check on your model to make sure it's closed and has a basic repair capability.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 398.36
    LW 2018.5 x64
    Space Navigator

Well...
    I would say freeze all subdivisions, not turn them off. This will give you a smoothed object with lots of polys. And yes, the subd would be off at this point.

Depends on your service and what software they use. As well, depends on an understanding between you and them; that is to say, the export section has enough options for you to get it out for any of their needs. There are size conversions going on in the export and it's imperative that you test their output against what they need.

I haven't used a service but I print daily, on both sla and ffd machines. My sizes are right on. Even for the cnc routing equipment available to me.
    For cnc, I can just use the lw object itself: perfectly sized to my real-world expectations when cut out.

Get a 'better' relationship going with your service to make this a much more efficient process for you both.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I'd also recommend getting the free version of Netfab, it'll run a check on your model to make sure it's closed and has a basic repair capability.
    You did know that AD bought NetFabb and killed the free version, right? Now there's a demo, but the "free" tier appears gone for good.

If needs are low-volume, the free tier of service from MakePrintable.com can do similar tests, and there are other slicer pkgs which include manifold/water-tight testing as well.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.5),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast