Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave Suggestions and Speculations

LightWave Suggestions and Speculations

so i got HEAVY negative criticism about this drawing i made on how i would picture a future version of lightwave, basically have modeller and layout in one window so you can still model and animate in the same software all within the without jumping back and forth
    another idea i had in mind is to keep the top and bottom toolbars and just have 2 buttons on top of modeller and layout that would just switch windows and menus within the same software and just let users focus on your task without interfering with the layout, just a thought, i just want an easy way to do 3d in lightwave, i REALLY LOVE lightwave, but switching between programs is unfortunately frustrating for me
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4690.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	143843

NewTek certainly has to improve the workflow. They are aware of this.

one of the more frustrating ones, imo >

Last edited by erikals; 01-09-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Franky6633 View Post
    so i got HEAVY negative criticism about this drawing i made on how i would picture a future version of lightwave,

You might get that here too.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Franky6633 View Post
    so i got HEAVY negative criticism about this drawing i made on how i would picture a future version of lightwave, basically have modeller and layout in one window so you can still model and animate in the same software all within the without jumping back and forth
    another idea i had in mind is to keep the top and bottom toolbars and just have 2 buttons on top of modeller and layout that would just switch windows and menus within the same software and just let users focus on your task without interfering with the layout, just a thought, i just want an easy way to do 3d in lightwave, i REALLY LOVE lightwave, but switching between programs is unfortunately frustrating for me

The criticism is because it's simply a horrible mockup. A UI like that would make the outdated, convoluted and inflexible LW UI even worse. Nothing personal but there are much better approaches to a good workflow (like using workspaces for example).

However pointless discussion because NewTek (at least the LW part) obviously doesn't seem to care or have knowledge about a user friendly and efficient UI / UX design (clearly visible in the worse dialog boxes and workflow from LW 2015 to 2018).

yes that is awful.

On a sidenote, went to LW YT channel as I was looking a specific example I seen there to recreate in C4D.

Noticed that last uploads were the pronos for 2018 which are two years old now apart form that seems to be abandiy....despite promises for comms(again) when Rob and Co. Left the company. Blog seems to be dead as always too.

Sucks.

You would think they would have learned from last time, But they arnt the only ones, Blackmagic has been deathly quiet about fusion for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    On a sidenote, went to LW YT channel as I was looking a specific example I seen there to recreate in C4D.

Noticed that last uploads were the pronos for 2018 which are two years old now apart form that seems to be abandiy....despite promises for comms(again) when Rob and Co. Left the company. Blog seems to be dead as always too.

Sucks.
    While I would also like to see some new stuff appearing on there, saying the LW2018 Previews are two years old is a bit of stretch. LW2018 was announced on Dec 12th 2017 with YouTube Previews to support the announcement. It is now Jan 11th 2019, so that's 1 year 1 month which is a little short of being two years old
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    While I would also like to see some new stuff appearing on there, saying the LW2018 Previews are two years old is a bit of stretch. LW2018 was announced on Dec 12th 2017 with YouTube Previews to support the announcement. It is now Jan 11th 2019, so that's 1 year 1 month which is a little short of being two years old

??? When you go to LW channel and see all the videos, it says "2 years" in the uploaded line for the 2018 previews clips....

??? When you go to LW channel and see all the videos, it says "2 years" in the uploaded line for the 2018 previews clips....
    Anything over 1 year old is designated as 2 years. There is no breakdown by months. Please post a link to a LW2018 Preview video posted before December 2017.
    Kevin F Stubbs

This is the most recent video posted to the Lightwave3D account on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYeEmoBdb9M

This was posted on December 7, 2016 and was attributed to the coming "Lightwave Next" release (aka 'LW2018').

Lightwave's presence on Vimeo is no better. The last video posted there was 4 years ago. https://vimeo.com/102158668

EDIT: The thing that bugs me about all this is that there is a Marketo bug on the lightwave3d.com site to assess/track possible customers. This means NewTek is paying money from their marketing budget. They're just not advertising or marketing anything. Nutty!
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 01-11-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    This is the most recent video posted to the Lightwave3D account on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYeEmoBdb9M

This was posted on December 7, 2016 and was attributed to the coming "Lightwave Next" release (aka 'LW2018').

Lightwave's presence on Vimeo is no better. The last video posted there was 4 years ago. https://vimeo.com/102158668

EDIT: The thing that bugs me about all this is that there is a Marketo bug on the lightwave3d.com site to assess/track possible customers. This means NewTek is paying money from their marketing budget. They're just not advertising or marketing anything. Nutty!
    Hm, not too sure about that regarding the most recent post to the Lightwave YouTube account. This is a link to the Lightwave 3D 2018 page which has the most recent addition as being on 7 Mar 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...h_PZ97opxt0j-o

The link you provided is down at the bottom of the list of 14 videos. The first nine videos were all posted in December 2017.
    Last edited by Qexit; 01-11-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Well point being, YT fault for not saying exactly one year few months...when I'm a potential customer and see stuff on YT 'older than 2 years' than it's no good. Whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Hm, not too sure about that regarding the most recent post to the Lightwave YouTube account...
    You're confusing channels and playlists because NewTek is recklessly confusing them. Those videos you see from 2018 belong to Antti Järvelä's personal YouTube channel. The Lightwave3D account simply added them to its playlist.

While Antti is a trusted and inherently knowledgeable demonstrator, it just seems bizarre that Newtek is relying on its developers to produce marketing for them. It is like a closed source program is embracing open source marketing.

...Blog seems to be dead as always too...
    Which blog? The latest entry for https://blog.lightwave3d.com/ is only a couple days old. They're keeping that up-to-date even though it is being well hidden under the proverbial bushel. The "blog" subdomain is not even linked from the main www.lightwave3d.com domain. It is a surprise anyone finds that blog with only 385 backlinks. The main domain has 1.3 million backlinks.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    You're confusing channels and playlists because NewTek is recklessly confusing them. Those videos you see from 2018 belong to Antti Järvelä's personal YouTube channel. The Lightwave3D account simply added them to its playlist.

While Antti is a trusted and inherently knowledgeable demonstrator, it just seems bizarre that Newtek is relying on its developers to produce marketing for them. It is like a closed source program is embracing open source marketing.
    Fair enough, I don't spend a great deal of time searching through YouTube so my mistake. Can we agree that Newtek could do with taking a look at their various channels and revising things along with adding some more recent material
    Kevin F Stubbs

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast