Thread: Is this possible???/

Is this possible???/

On our streams for home games we use our TriCaster mini. We have 3 cameras going into 3 HDMI slots for different camera angles. We have one camera on the scoreboard clock. We don't use any kind of graphics for the clock and score because I would rather have a student on a camera for another angle than the graphics and we don't have enough kids for it.
    Well, anyway to the scoreboard and clock. We use camera 4 for this and shrink it down and it works pretty well except for the fact that when it gets dark the printed part of the board that says home and visitors can't be seen. You can see the lighted areas which show score, time, quarter etc. You just don't know for sure who is home or visitor unless you have watched us enough. Is there another trick we can use like we do with the shrinking of the clock to be able to put up some text where it says home and visitors? thanks.

Have you tried just boosting the contrast on the clock cam input?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Well, no. I'm not smart enough to think of something like that. I will try that this week. That would be a real simple fix if it works.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    A another solution is to create a title template with the info that you want with transparent boxes to reveal the score and time behind it. You could build the layers in a M/E and then choose the M/E in the DSK. This now gives you the ability to edit the home and visitor team names making for a much higher score clock
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Well, the idea of boosting the gain, contrast or anything along that line didn't work.
    Jose, guys like you make me feel real dumb. You don't do it on purpose but you guys are so good at this stuff. I don't work with the TriCaster on a regular basis and don't get enough time to get a lot better at it. I understand what you mean to make a transparent box but I don't know what process I would have to use to do it. Is there a video out there that would help? I would appreciate it if you would add to my intelligence level and help me make a box by pointing me in the right direction.

On the NewTek web site under Support, Learning Resources, are videos you can watch to learn most of the many features on your TriCaster. If you click on Videos on TriCaster Professional Line, you will see a list of tutorials done By Don Balance.
    Watch #8, #11 and #17 as this will help explain a lot and what I am about to do my best to describe.
    Do a GRAB in LIVE of the scoreboard (cam 4). You will use this to help align you custom Title Template
    Exit LIVE and click on Graphics. Give your project a name and start the project.
    On the bottom of the UI, select the tab name Filebin. Locate your GRAB folder which if TC standard, would be in your Media drive/Media/Stills/session name/capture folder
    DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK ON THE CAPTURE IMAGE FILE but instead hold the left mouse button down as you select it and drag it onto the screen
    The GRAB should be exactly sized on the screen and we will use this to know where to create our rectangles
    Select the filled rectangle tool and draw out rectangles to cover up all but the digital signage portions of the grab
    Now click on the Text tool (cursor icon) and type out the word HOME. Use the Select tool (pointer) and size/position the text to be where the HOME is. Do the same for Visitor and any other portions of the scoreboard
    Click on the layers Tab (bottom of UI) and locate the line that begins with Image and click on it then delete it
    File drop down menu Save your Project
    Now drop down again and choose send page to LIVE
    Exit Graphics and go back to LIVE
    Go to ME1 Tab (If standard TC, you open the tabs by clicking on the ME arrows under the Preview monitor) and make sure it is EFFECT Default 2. If not change it to be Default 2
    On the A and B bus choose Cam 4
    Goto a media bin not being used or I prefer you use a Buffer, and load your Title Template which will be listed under Titles and a new folder should be there with the session name and finally select and click OK. Your custom Title Template is now loaded into the system
    Go back into ME1 Tab and on the far right, click the drop down on KEY and choose the media bin or buffer you put your title temple
    Click on take to overlay it over Cam 4 (Put ME1 in preview to see your work)
    Now go to DSK1 and use the drop down and choose ME1 as DSK1 source
    Press take and then click on it's Cross hair Icon to open the settings window
    Scale and position the new game clock to where you desire
    Now in the media bin or buffer, click the gear on your title template and where it says home click on it. Type the name of the home team and then do the same for the visiting team
    Now when you bring on and off DSK1, you get the new and improved scoreboard

Now Graphics AKA LiveText drawing tools are limited (to be kind) so if you know someone with Photoshop skills, ask them to make a better version of the rectangle you made in Graphics but make sure they make the parts transparent where needed. Import this artwork into your TriCaster and open Graphics and locate the image and drag it on screen like I explained earlier and delete your rectangles

I highly recommend when your budget allows that you get professional onsite training if watching all the videos, reading the manual and searching the internet for information or videos. is not possible due to time constraints. One or two days of professional training will not only elevate your production value but remove a lot of stress you may have doing a live event because the trainer will design a custom work flow to fit your needs.

Take care,
    Last edited by joseburgos; 12-05-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Where can I get training and how much does it run?

You can contact your local NewTek dealer or contact one of the three Authorized Trainers listed on the top of the Certified Operators page;
    https://www.newtek.com/support/certi...-op-directory/
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

The only one in Kansas is Wink Friesen but he passed away over a year ago.

I guess I can come to New York and learn from one of the best.

Or I can come to you which has the benefit of training on your equipment
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

You wouldn't want to come to western Kansas. There's nothing out here but farmland and cattle.

Speaking as someone who has already had Jose come to them, you do want Jose to visit you. He is a terrific teacher and trainer, and you will come away from those few days very glad you invited him. He got us started on the TriCaster 460, and those few days were worth every penny.

And no, no one asked me to endorse him. Happy to do that on my own.
    Tricaster 460
    HD-SDI over coax
    JVC 890 x 2
    Panasonic 370 x 1

Ndi telestrator, allows you to enter text, draw, annotate over top a live video feed. You might want to look into using it to position the text you require.

I have the Ndi tesestrator software but have not yet installed it. I also have not had time to study it either. That sound interesting though. I also have Livetext but that means another person operating something.