Thread: Delay when selecting Spark inputs on Program bus

2005 NewTek Demo Guru

Delay when selecting Spark inputs on Program bus

During our first production using our Spark SDI devices (we used two) last night, there was a significant delay of about 2 seconds when one of the Spark's was selected on the Program bus. I'm running AE2 on a 410, and for example, if I were on input 1 (internal SDI) and performed a "take" to either of the Spark inputs, it would be about two seconds before it actually switched to Program. This delay was present also when just direct punching the Spark to Program (instead of putting it on preview first). Interestingly though, there was no delay when selecting the Spark units to preview, they appeared instantly. The delay only occurs when putting the Spark devices on Program bus. Once I was aware of the problem, I had to punch those sources two seconds early to accommodate for the delay.

Has anyone else noticed something similar to this?

thanks
    Jon
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    Yes, we had the same issue when selecting any ND I input on our 460. It was really bad until we updated to the latest version of AE. It is still a bit slower than an SDI input, but much better than before.
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, Spark & Bird Dog converters
    http://reddogrecords.com

2005 NewTek Demo Guru
    Maybe someone from NewTek can chime in here. Is this normal? If so, is there something inherent with Spark devices that causes this issue, because I can use NDI sources from two separate PCs running NewTek Connect and they do not have the problem. The problem is only on the Spark devices.
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

Jonathan,

I just was perusing the forums and noticed this. Make sure that you have the latest NDI|HX drivers and firmware installed on your spark and if there is still a problem shoot me an email.

Andrew