Thread: Rotate instances around centre of object using texture

Rotate instances around centre of object using texture

I have a sphere with instanced objects around it, and I want to create the effect of a wave traveling along the surface by having the instances move around the centre of the sphere, along the lines of latitude, so to speak, meaning that the instances at the north and south pole don't move.

So the offset will follow a circular path on the x/z plane, and the magnitude of the offset is controlled by a texture. But the instances will stay the same distance from the centre of the sphere, so they never leave the sphere's surface.

Is thsi do-able with nodes? I've tried all the maths I can remember from high school, but I can't get it to work. What I can't work out is what the frame of reference for the offset is for each instance. Is it in world co-ordinates or relative to the normal of the base position on the sphere?
    2 × Xeon 2690 - 20 cores @ 3GHz, 2 × NVIDIA GeForce Titan Black 6GB, 64GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro
    MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 2.6Ghz, El Capitan

nerdiness and free stuff at my blob

where you thinking along these lines ?

Grass test by Dodgy
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Kind of, except that the instances move around the surface. I kludged it by making a morph of the base object rotated around its Y axis a bit. It only works for rotations up to about 15º, but in this case it's sufficient.
    2 × Xeon 2690 - 20 cores @ 3GHz, 2 × NVIDIA GeForce Titan Black 6GB, 64GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro
    MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 2.6Ghz, El Capitan

nerdiness and free stuff at my blob