Thread: can't get 2 of 4 PTZ1's to show up

can't get 2 of 4 PTZ1's to show up

As the title states. Our TC8k cant see two of our new PTZ1 cams. The other two show up just fine. Tried different ports, direct connect, etc. No joy. Any ideas?

Just to begin the conversation, did you run through the update steps using the firmware and directions at the URL provided on the card in the box?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

On two, I did. On the other two - I could not even get access to them via a direct connection to a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    On two, I did. On the other two - I could not even get access to them via a direct connection to a computer.
    This kind of suggests something about the nature of the problem, then, right? If you were here, I'd be only to happy to hook them up and sort out any issues for you - but as it is, I have to recommend working through it with CS.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I solved it on my own.

For what it is worth, here is the solution for anyone searching for this later:

- Connect an SDI cable to the port on the camera
    - Connect the other end of the SDI cable to a monitor
    - Connect the ethernet port on the cam to your network
    (Look at the SDI-connected monitor for the following steps)
    - Hit "menu" on the remote
    - Navigate to the "Ethernet" setting
    - Select DHCP
    - Switch to "ON"
    - Go back to the main menu and select "Status"
    - Go to page 7, Ethernet, and make note of the IP
    - Exit the menu
    - Using NDI Video Monitor, locate your camera according to the IP listed above
    - If you can see it, so can the TriCaster.
    Last edited by dhodlick; 09-28-2017 at 01:38 PM.

No offense meant, but I'm going to comment on some of this, for the benefit of others and in hopes of simplifying the process for those who go astray:

- Connect an SDI cable to the port on the camera
    - Connect the other end of the SDI cable to a monitor
    - Connect the ethernet port on the cam to your network
    (Look at the SDI-connected monitor for the following steps)
    - Hit "menu" on the remote
    - Navigate to the "Ethernet" setting
    - Select DHCP
    - Switch to "ON"
    The camera defaults to DHCP on. After a minute or two, if it does not get an address automatically from a DHCP server, it fails over to a static IP (192.168.100.168).
    If you power it up some time before connecting it to a network with a DHCP server, it may fail over to this static address. Something like this is almost certainly what happened to you.

- Go back to the main menu and select "Status"
    - Go to page 7, Ethernet, and make note of the IP
    - Exit the menu
    - Using NDI Video Monitor, locate your camera according to the IP listed above
    - If you can see it, so can the TriCaster.
    To be a bit fussy here (to avoid any confusion), Windows users would use NDI Studio Monitor (which is installed with the HX driver); Mac users have NDI Video Monitor (the older NDI Video Monitor for Windows wouldn't be of much help here).

In cases where a DHCP server was not found in a reasonable length of time after powering up, the static IP listed above should always work (it isn't different for different cameras). In that case, all you need to do is:

1) Connect the camera peer-to-peer to a computer,
    2) set the computer's IP address to 192.168.1.1, net mask 255.255.255.0
    3) access the cameras webpage and re-enable Dynamic IP Address (DHCP) by entering the static IP into a browser.
    4) Then power down the camera, re-enable DHCP on the computer, and power the camera up again. Done.

Also, as a hint: if you connect and configure your cameras one at a time, it's generally unnecessary to bother finding out the IP number - just rename them as you go. If multiple cameras are online at any one time that all have the same name (the default is "Chan 1"), Studio Monitor will show the IP number next to the name, but as I said, if you rename them as you go, you can really ignore IP numbers.

Most if not all of this is in the docs. If you rigorously follow the 'getting started' steps, you will never have this problem. If you do, you can use SDI, the remote, and the method dhodlick describes, or just follow my steps 1-4.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The camera defaults to DHCP on. After a minute or two, if it does not get an address automatically from a DHCP server, it fails over to a static IP (192.168.100.168).
    If you power it up some time before connecting it to a network with a DHCP server, it may fail over to this static address. Something like this is almost certainly what happened to you.
    I appreciate your input, but that's not what I ran into yesterday. These cameras were set to "DHCP OFF" straight out of the box. (The other two were a-ok.) I had to go in and change them manually - they would not default over to the "on" setting no matter what I did or in what order they were connected.

Thanks for your steps 1-4. Had I been connecting these with my own laptop, I'd have done it that way. That being said, I work for a large organization that has to adhere to HIPAA regs regarding security, so getting into the network config settings of any computer here, besides our broadcast gear, is impossible. IT has locked it out.

Understood. I still think it's likely that at some point these two units had 'failed over' to the static setting, but it's not impossible that a production side error caused it to do so. In any case, you're quite right that the remote control and OSD offer another approach. A 'reset to factory defaults' will kick DHCP on again, too - but I am kind of envious of Spark's physical reset button, and wish PTZ1 had that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator