Thread: Black Water Spots

Black Water Spots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black_water.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	137918
    I'll be the first to admit, I don't do water scenes very well, so I'm trying to improve. But I have these black water spots in this render and I haven't been able to get rid of them.
    Can anyone tell me what these are from and how I can do better with this water? thanks

OK, if I tell yu guys this, just don't call me stupid! Since there was a hole in the skydome that I was using, I figured that the black spots were coming from that "black" space, so I turned on gradient backdrop and ... taaa daaaaa!!! no more black spots. Like I said, just don't call me stupid, even though I wonder some times.

Well, lets see the new render to compare. Are you using HOT Ocean toolkit?

no, but I think I should. I've been trying to reproduce Louis DuMont's ocean wave tutorial, and I even downloaded the scene file. I've spent all day trying to copy what he did, with no success. I don't understand what the issues are, but the scene doesn't work, and its killin me. I will say its helped me alot with the nodal system, which is something that I'm just getting used to. I'm used to using the old layered system, which is so much less efficient.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BadOceanRender.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	137919
    These are the two renders. Mine is the mono-chromatic one. I can't even get the reflections on the water like he did. StrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnngeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DuMont_OceanRender.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	137920

That was a cool tutorial. IIRC he used some DP Filter nodes to add the bloom effect, and it looks great. The hot ocean tool kit does seem to make the initial set up of an ocean easier than anything else I've seen. Search the forum for the link to the LW version. It's free. Then you can use the Louis DuMont techniques to complete the look. I've been meaning to try HOToolkit myself, just haven't had a chance yet.

yep, I intend to do just that. Thanks