Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in Lightwave

I hope to see svg support in future lw versions, It wil probably unfortunately not show up in this next version though.
    With free tools such as krita, inkscape, itīs easy to just draw some strokes or lines, trace bitmap in inkscape and since inkscapes native format is svg, itīs easy to import to blender as curves and turn on depth for thickening the roads.

Sample images, first image..top image simple strokes in krita imported to inkscape and the lower image is the bitmap trace, second image...simple svg import of that traced inkscape svg file, you may probably just be fine with inkscape and use a stroke effekt on the paths first, then export to bitmap, reload in to inkscape and trace it, as I can see it..Inkscape can not work with node to node multipaths, so thus the reason of just either making strokes in krita or inkscape and tracing it first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krita bitmap trace in inkscape.jpeg 
Views:	363 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	137999

Name:	blender svg import_road.jpeg 
Views:	394 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	138000

The better workflow rather than doing what I suggested above...would be to..
    1. simply draw paths in inkscape with either the freehand lines or draw bezier curves..and make some intersecting paths.
    2. select them
    3. go to path...then stroke to path.
    4. go to path...outset path.
    5. select all paths
    6. go to path and ...use union, that will merge paths.
    7. just save out as svg
    8. import with blenders svg importer, select the curve and use depth values to thicken it.

All done with free tools, lightwave unfortunately not so easy..even though it cost so hurry up lw team guys and start working on enhancing curves, svg import etc.
    To note, the svg curve format allows for correcting the road with spline handles in blender

Edited...some errors in my descriptions, you want extrude in blender for the curves ...not depth, sorry for that.

so why not just save as EPS? according to inkscape website it saves as EPS, or just get hold of Adobe illustrator,
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    so why not just save as EPS? according to inkscape website it saves as EPS, or just get hold of Adobe illustrator,
    Why would you even bother use eps?, just to get it in to lightwave? and then having issues trying to make an offset path as a road? when you got it all done in blender, and if you want it to lightwave ..just export to obj.
    The svg format is superior since you can edit path handles in blender, changing several vertexes with a spline handel, or use smoothing operations and much more on the curves, wihch you can not with eps files, and with blender you can simply turn it in to roads.

And why work with adobe in itīs current prenumeration state, when you got a free alternative in inkscape?
    Besides...I donīt think the eps format from inkscape works properly with lightwave..have to check, it has no option of choosing eps illustrator 8 format, so I think it doesnīt come through properly.

Checked..
    No..eps from inkscape doesnīt work, either itīs lightwaves old importer that canīt deal with it, or it is inkscapes postscript 2 and 3 levels that isnīt good enough, so ...I vote for a svg enhanced format in lightwave.
    splotchdogs svg plugin for lightwave doesnīt allow for paths with drills or holes, might work for roeads, besides it only imports it as splines without bezier handle control as blender does, an indication that lightwave modeler is too old for this kind of curve work.

Here, I converted the Blender plugin to Lightwave... Imports AI, PDF, SVG... the nice thing is that the AI files dont need to be 8.x but support all flavors, AND that color gets imported.

Enjoy

OD_ImportVectorFile.zip

AWESOME!  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    Here, I converted the Blender plugin to Lightwave... Imports AI, PDF, SVG... the nice thing is that the AI files dont need to be 8.x but support all flavors, AND that color gets imported.

Enjoy

OD_ImportVectorFile.zip
    Wow! Amazing, thanks!

Enjoy

OD_ImportVectorFile.zip
    Interesting...paths worked on as I mentioned before for roads works when importing eps from inkscape, however...objects with holes crashes lightwave, when raising smoothness to higher than 8 ..crashes lightwave, pdf import crashes as well..
    Lightwave 2015 32 bit.

So the question is...can this plugin turn inkscape objects with holes(autodrill..when using eps importer) eps or svg format import and have it working? it doesnīt look like that right now..in such case you are still better off sending it to blender, it would be awesome if it could...thanks for the work so far anyway oliverhotz.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Interesting...paths worked on as I mentioned before for roads works when importing eps from inkscape, however...objects with holes crashes lightwave, when raising smoothness to higher than 8 ..crashes lightwave, pdf import crashes as well..
    Lightwave 2015 32 bit.

So the question is...can this plugin turn inkscape objects with holes(autodrill..when using eps importer)
    checked again, yes it worked at one of my eps files from inkscape, however..not the svg files, you need to uncheck filled paths only, so this is the first time Ivé been able to get inkscape eps with hole drilling directly in to lighwave.
    Thanks oliverhotz...Awesome.
    And for the rest of you...please try out my description on making the paths in inkscape, stroke to path first, then outset it to give the paths road width, union them..then save as eps and load to lightwave, should work nicely.

I Still think svg in blender is superior with itīs svg import..against any eps or against any svg in lightwave, a simple circle with text around itīs path, crashes in lightwave..in blender, no issues and come in galantely...And with each letter selectable as single curve when selecting it..And with an option to tweak itīs bezier handle.
    Edit..manage to get that sample circle in with text and no crash..but it doesnīt drill the text properly as it does in blender.

So my workflow would probably be to keep on using blender and inkscape, it simply does it better than any other import option that lightwave can mustard today, and itīs not much of an issue to simply send it to lightwave as obj when finished, so apart from actually getting all drills and holes right, it provides an option to further select individual segments in one go..which you cant in lightwave, and it provides and option to alter the bezier splines..altering the curves/mainshapes, and also doing so on a full extruded path within the curve..just changin the spline, so you do not have to edit multiple vertexes either as you would need to in lightwave and that requires per vertex changes, not a single spline handle as you can with blender svg.
    Guess the lw team really have to rewrite the whole curve handling if it should be able to have that kind of functionality as blender has, with instant thickness on curves and editable handles within the svg import.

Name:	lightwave eps import from inkscape.jpeg 
Views:	313 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	138002

Name:	Blender svg import from inkscape.jpeg 
Views:	273 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	138003

with the OD_ImportVectorFile plugin, I do get constant crashes when importing inkscape eps shapes in to lightwave 2015 32 bit, with holes and with import settings with a smoothness setting higher than 3.

that's because lightwave can only have a certain amount of points created on a single ngon in most situations, the pen tool for example can only handle a few hundred for example, and the knife tool becomes very slow on large polys.
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    with the OD_ImportVectorFile plugin, I do get constant crashes when importing inkscape eps shapes in to lightwave 2015 32 bit, with holes and with import settings with a smoothness setting higher than 3.
    not that i can change really anything (as i am just wrapping the code), but, could i have one of those files that it crashes with ?

not that i can change really anything (as i am just wrapping the code), but, could i have one of those files that it crashes with ?
    I am hitting the sack now..way overdue, eyes are shutting down really, have tested a lot, so I need to be alert when gathering the right stuff..maybe tuesday..sorry.
    Edited...try the attached files, svg and eps..sorry for two files...so tired now.
    Preferably check them in inkscape as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    that's because lightwave can only have a certain amount of points created on a single ngon in most situations, the pen tool for example can only handle a few hundred for example, and the knife tool becomes very slow on large polys.
    The standard eps importer doesnīt have that issue if you import eps 8 files, so I donīt understand why that should have anything to do with it.

it also seem to work if I have quadrangulate checked, but then you get a lot of triangulated connections, where you may not want to, standard eps import only yields a single line connection down to the autodrilled holes, even if there are more holes than one in a shape.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast