Thread: Setup

Setup

Following the Quick Start Guide for the camera, it said that the NDI Studio Monitor software was supposed to get installed with the NDI HX drivers. It did not. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling, no luck. Finally went to Newtek.com and downloaded NDI Tools Pack and got NDI Studio Monitor from there and then it worked fine.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Did you do this on a TriCaster? (If so, that explains why it wasn't installed.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yes, TC1. My bad, didn't have another means of enabling camera at the time.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

No worries. Although the basic 'quickstart style' docs make scant mention of it, you can do all of the same things using TriCaster's input source selection menu without loading Studio Monitor on the system.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Had to update the TC1, didn't have the Configure button available originally. All good now, thank you!

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Unfortunately, all is not good...yet. I get the camera image in Studio Monitor and can also control camera there, works great. I open a TC1 Session and can get the camera image in Input 1 via NDI and also have the PTZ Control set to NDI, but have NO CONTROL over camera. Nothing. Not via the mouse-driven tools in PTZ tab, or via Control Panel joystick. I have a lot of experience using RS-232 cameras with this same machine, so not my first attempt at PTZ.

TC1 was just updated to 6-0-170815, and camera firmware updated to VHR104h, and I read the camera manual cover to cover. What am I missing here to control PTZ from TriCaster? Just.Not.Working.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

If the connection type is set to NDI, it should just work - without any configuration. If it's not, I'd suspect some sort of network issue, not sure where to begin ... maybe at the Firewall settings.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Hi Steve & Jeff,
    I can confirm I have the exact same issue both the TC1 and VMC1. I have never been able to control the PTZ cameras at first start in either TC1 or VMC1. I have submitted a Fogbugz case on this.

I found a workaround:
    1. Open the input settings tab for the Ptz camera
    2. Change the input source to any other NDI source
    3. Change back the source to the Ptz camera again

After these 3 steps the PTZ controls should work again.

//Martin

(Tested and reproduced in both new and old projects. Newtek PTZ Firmware: VHR104h. VMC1: 170815, TC1: 6-0-170815. Ptz control from studio monitor works fine all the time though)

This sounds very much like a weird bug that I overheard being discussed while passing through QA late yesterday. It is now marked resolved, and I would expect the next release to include the fix. (If anyone really needs this in a hurry, they could email QA and ask for a beta).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Martin,

Thank you for sharing your workaround - that did resolve the issue. Will look forward to the update to fix it more permanently.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

Hi Steve,

can you confirm I should be able to access the NDI camera webpage from the TC1 ? Control is working , picture is working, but I can't access the detailed settings of the camera... I guess Studio monitor is needed to know the IP adress, but as above, I can't get it installed on the TC-1 .

Hitting the "Configure" button (located at right beside the Source selection menu when an NDI device is selected) should pop up a browser and open the device's webpage. You do not need to enter an address, this should be automatic.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Just updated to the lastest firmware on my HDMI mini and the PTZ camera - but it didn't do a thing and I'm still having the same issues - as in I can see the NDI feed fine, I can open up the devices webpage and control the camera that way - but I just can't control the PTZ in the Tricaster software - I have 4 of these sitting here looking really pretty but not a lot of use - we can control our PTZ optics fine via IP address and AE

I've switched off any Windows firewall, tried changing the network between - home, public and work - all to no use

The NDI feeds are great (we love our sparks) but the control of the PTZ cameras is a nightmare