Thread: NDI App for Smart TV or Apple TV

NDI App for Smart TV or Apple TV

I have seen the NDI Camera app and it got me thinking about the Apple TV. It would be awesome to have an Apple TV NDI monitor app. I figure its possible as the TV and iPhone share the same chips. Any reason this wouldn't work?
    I have messed around in xcode a little but I do not know enough about coding to attempt making this. Im not sure why Newtek hasn't already made this. Also it would be great to extend this idea into Smart TV's.

That would be cool - NewTek seems to rely on Sienna for NDI Mac utilities, perhaps try contacting them?

It should be trivial as you say, tvOS is basically the same platform as iOS.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by jamin9909 View Post
    I have seen the NDI Camera app and it got me thinking about the Apple TV. It would be awesome to have an Apple TV NDI monitor app. I figure its possible as the TV and iPhone share the same chips. Any reason this wouldn't work?
    I have messed around in xcode a little but I do not know enough about coding to attempt making this. Im not sure why Newtek hasn't already made this. Also it would be great to extend this idea into Smart TV's.
    At the present time there is no NDI decoder on the ARM platform. Hence there can be no monitor on ARM platform.

Quote Originally Posted by livepad View Post
    At the present time there is no NDI decoder on the ARM platform. Hence there can be no monitor on ARM platform.
    That is a bummer. Thanks

Yet there are plenty of threads around the internet relating to NDI on ARM processors.

I'm no coder so if the kind folk at NDI could please excuse my ignorance...
    I would imagine it's more resource intensive to encode an NDI stream on to the network than decode, yet this is already possible.

My brain runs wild with the additional use cases for an iPad based NDI Monitor, ARM Decoder, Raspberry Pi (Even just to push information displays). If it can be on iOS, it might as well be on Apple TV too. A Multiviewer might be a bit of push, but then I suppose it could use the low bandwidth "thumbnail" streams.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RossMcIntosh View Post
    I'm no coder so if the kind folk at NDI could please excuse my ignorance...
    I would imagine it's more resource intensive to encode an NDI stream on to the network than decode, yet this is already possible.
    I'm not sure what the ARM performance issues are, so what I might have written below may or may not have anything to do with it. In speaking with BirdDog and their upcoming BirdDog Link feature (which is the ability to output video from a BirdDog device), this is how it was explained to me.

When you encode, you get to choose what you are making NDI wise. For example, an app/device will encode set resolutions, aspect ratios, color space and frame rates that the app/hardware is able to support.

However, decode isn't as easy. What is coming into your application could be just about anything. HD? 4K? With alpha channel? Without alpha? YUV color? RGB color? Something that doesn't match 'normal' video formats at all? The possibly of formats is much larger on the decode side.

So basically, encode wise only one thing needs to be created to consider it working. But on the decode side you have to support everything possible, otherwise it is considered broken.
    Last edited by kanep; 05-26-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by jamin9909 View Post
    Its a 2 step solution, but you can get NDI content to an Apple TV (and even fast Smart TVs) using Sienna NDI WebLink. Same goes for iPhones, iPads and Android devices. Not exactly what you are asking for but the closest you can get today.
    http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndiweblink.html

There is a new 5 minute tutorial for WebLink which will help understand how it works:
    https://youtu.be/xa95zkAqa14