Thread: NC1 I/O not launching

NC1 I/O not launching

Last night, one of our live meetings (coming in over NDI) had choppy video but good audio. There was a second live meeting from the same location, also coming in over NDI, and that was flawless.

Network capacity is not an issue, I tested that. The video on the TriCaster itself (as well as the local recordings) are fine, and the NDI feed was also fine monitoring it on another computer with NDI Monitor, but even if I set the input to black and then back to the meeting, it was choppy into and out of the NC1 unit.

Since there were two meetings going on at the same time, I couldn't reboot the NC1 last night, which turned out to be serendipitous:

This morning when I came in, I rebooted the NC1 (via locally attached keyboard/mouse/monitor) and now the NC1 software refuses to launch. After multiple reboots and cold boots, it just sits on the Windows desktop. If I click to launch the NC1 software manually, it gives me the attached error dialog box.

Any suggestions? This is a show-stopper.

Then once that is figured out, I can dive into troubleshooting choppy NDI video. Hooray.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1532.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	137504
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

It would seem that the system 'thinks' the software is already running ... and perhaps it is? Could it be that there is another monitor connected, unseen in some fashion or other, and the interface is on that screen?

If all else fails, I suppose a Restore operation would get you back to square one.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

No, and in fact preferably there's no monitor attached to it at all, since it's a rackmountable unit that I'd rather forget about physically.

Unfortunately, many options and controls are missing from the web interface, and the unit does NOT play well with VNC, so a monitor/keyboard/mouse is necessary.

Does NewTek have any official remote control recommendations?

Anyway, I guess I'll try restoring.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Restore seems to have solved the issue for now. I'd still love to hear about viable remote control options though, the web interface is seriously lacking.

Another two live meetings hopefully coming in over NDI on Monday, will report back if the choppiness on one feed persists.

Thanks!
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by lukerctv View Post
    I'd still love to hear about viable remote control options though...
    If I could offer a suggestion, the shortest route to new additions would be explicit feature requests.

Quote Originally Posted by lukerctv View Post
    ... report back if the choppiness on one feed persists.
    In my experience with NDI over the last 3 years or more, dropped frames almost always resolve to one of two issues - either a problem at source, or a network config or bandwidth issue. Some source types are more prone to the former than others, so if that doesn't seem likely I'd concentrate on the latter. Failing that, if you can replicate the problem, I'd suggest writing up an exhaustive Fogbugz report (few things get more attention in engineering than NDI performance).

p.s., Generally, it's wise to follow a restore operation with updating to the current release version, if you haven't already.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Instead of fighting remote control software like VNC or Teamviewer on mission critical gear we started implementing KVM over IP solutions like these - http://www.adder.com/products/categories/kvm-over-ip

or if you are fan of BlackBox
    https://www.blackbox.com/en-US/store...lity_Receivers

I can tell you from experience the Gefen KVM over IP units do not play well with TriCasters or IP Series units. Something about how they handle the EDID signature back to the switcher. Things go wonky.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

If only there were some kind of IP-based video product with very low latency and newly developed control protocols...
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd