Thread: Formats for NDI Transmit

Formats for NDI Transmit

Hello.

I've noticed that NDI Transmit heavily compresses the video to use as a webcam feed for video conferencing apps. The only way I have seen to change the video quality is the framing size from source to 480, 720, 1080 with a separate option to switch between progressive and interlaced. Is there any other way via the Tricaster or a 3rd-party app to change either the compression rate or bit rate to the conferencing app. Or is that up to the conferencing app settings (we are currently using WebEx Event Center)? I also have already been told by a NewTek rep that the recording and streaming settings do not affect NDI Transmit. Please reply with any information that can help. Thank you.

Matthew Baran
    Lutheran Church Charities

I'm pretty sure that all of the compression you are seeing is happing in Webex. From what I'm aware the NDI Transmit plug-in sends YUV encoded frames (basically uncompressed) into the virtual webcam. Beyond the NDI compression (which is typically not noticeable), any additional compression is happening in the application. I'm not sure what settings Webex has but many VOIP apps are designed for performance over image quality.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Ok, makes sense. Is there any way to further compress the video in-between going from NDI Transmit to the conference calling app so that VOIP app isn't compressing as much on its own?

Well, say TriCaster Session is 1080 - you could set up a secondary video output to be 720p or 480 and the corresponding NDI output should then be at that resolution also. Maybe that's what you're looking for? That would certainly hand off a smaller file with lower bandwidth. Did that yesterday, sending 480p from TC1 to Adobe Connect via NDI Transmit, since Connect can at best accept 480.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Well, say TriCaster Session is 1080 - you could set up a secondary video output to be 720p or 480 and the corresponding NDI output should then be at that resolution also. Maybe that's what you're looking for? That would certainly hand off a smaller file with lower bandwidth. Did that yesterday, sending 480p from TC1 to Adobe Connect via NDI Transmit, since Connect can at best accept 480.

Thanks
    That sounds handy. I would like some further instruction in doing so in order to make sure I'm doing that correctly (goal is to keep 720p session as Out 1 with NDI getting a 480p output from Out 2). Unfortunately, WebEx Event Center only does 360p max so there will be some down-converting, and I was having issues with a 480/60p session (the exact same that I was having with a 720p session). But, anything is helpful at this point. Thank you.

Also worth noting is that I'm using a Mini with Standard Edition.

Matthew Baran

Actually, I think I have figured out how to send a lower output to NDI. I just have to let the network follow the other setting, correct?

That sounds right - I'm on AE so a bit different here - but yes set Output 2 to 480p and set NDI Out (Network?) to Out 2 then

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Newbie Member
    How many audio channels can Transmit send?

And, how many audio channels can Google Hangout receive from Transmit?
    Matsu , D-Storm, Inc.

NDI Transmit sends stereo audio.

As for Google Hangouts, not sure but if I had to guess, it would be mono audio like most other VOIP solutions.
    Last edited by kanep; 06-19-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Newbie Member
    Thank you for your reply.
    Matsu , D-Storm, Inc.

Just checking on 1 more thing; is there any way to convert either the broadcast stream or the NDI Transmit video into a H.264 codec prior to it being on the conference calling app? Or is the conference calling app the only way it can be converted into that format?

Matthew Baran

Just saw the new Connect Spark; how can that work between the Tricaster and WebEx?

Quote Originally Posted by LCCMedia View Post
    Just saw the new Connect Spark; how can that work between the Tricaster and WebEx?
    Spark requires an NDI|HX driver to be installed on the system. This installation includes an optional component called Virtual Input. This app is very much like Transmit, and can pass a selected NDI or NDI|HX a/v stream to another app as though it were a webcam. This should be able to serve video to WebEx, I believe.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")