Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Eevee - Realtime rendering engine for Blender

Also, a new "Clay Render" viewport is implemented, which helps organizing a scene visually.

Win10 64 - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Here:

https://blender.stackexchange.com/qu...f-eevee-engine

In short, Eevee is meant to be a modern, high-quality viewport that will perform better than the current Blender viewport, and can better approximate the shaders for game engines or renderers such as Cycles. It will also be able to function as a final renderer in its own right, removing the need for a dedicated scanline renderer such as Blender Internal. Since it is GPU based (using the same render techniques as game engines) it will be very fast, rendering in seconds or fractions of a second.

You can use it as an alternative to Cycles if you prefer the speed, or use it as a preview of Cycles for when you need the extra quality of path tracing and don't mind waiting around for it. Since the renderer is very similar to game engine renderers, it is also very useful for prototyping game assets before sending them on to engines such as Unity or Unreal

I just tested the viewport performance with the Tirpitz ship model. In the current version (without Eevee) it struggles. It is okay when I turn on matcaps, but still not smooth. In solid mode I get 2 frames a second. It is abysmal.

In the new version - Wow, what a difference. I duplicated the ship six times, and the viewport was still responsive and smooth. More importantly, selecting in pre-2.8 results in a slowdown - not so with this new viewport. And with fake AO!

For that alone it is a game changer for Blender users. No longer a sluggish viewport when loading heavier models. Even edit mode feels much faster now.

Blender's Achilles' heel was always its viewport performance (or lack thereof). That is no longer the case: count me impressed.

https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/67676
    Win10 64 - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Guess I just wonder how much different it is than say something like Modo's advanced viewport
    I would say this is pretty similar. But with two noteable differences
    a) They target rt rendering as an option
    b) blender does already have a strong support for node based texturing in the opengl viewport:
    Having a blended cube map image projection mixed with a procedural noise wich is then modified by a rgb curve is no problem to be visualised
    inside the viewport already. (And eevee does also support that)

but yes overall in its current state its quite the same

And soon Unity will come with Octane render. Such strange times we live in when 3d apps have game engine for renderer and a game engine has an unbiased ray tracer built in.

You can use octane for realtime things. You only need a few passes to get the general lighting information you need. The engine can take that data and fill in the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    And soon Unity will come with Octane render. Such strange times we live in when 3d apps have game engine for renderer and a game engine has an unbiased ray tracer built in.
    And Vray in Unreal...

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    I just tested the viewport performance with the Tirpitz ship model. In the current version (without Eevee) it struggles. It is okay when I turn on matcaps, but still not smooth. In solid mode I get 2 frames a second. It is abysmal.

In the new version - Wow, what a difference. I duplicated the ship six times, and the viewport was still responsive and smooth. More importantly, selecting in pre-2.8 results in a slowdown - not so with this new viewport. And with fake AO!

For that alone it is a game changer for Blender users. No longer a sluggish viewport when loading heavier models. Even edit mode feels much faster now.

Blender's Achilles' heel was always its viewport performance (or lack thereof). That is no longer the case: count me impressed.

https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/67676
    Thanks for that info, will look in to this...since I too experienced blender to be too slow even compared to lightwave when working with viewports and larger polycount (except for sculpting mode)

It is so great to see this new shader coming to cycles. This is one of the main things it has needed and I really wanted to see. That with the new viewport rendering puts Blender back on track to keep up with current rendering technology.

The new Principled BSDF shader is very simple to use. I downloaded the latest 2.79 build yesterday and it works great.

Nice Andrew tutorial how it works:

You know, at first I did not want to believe Eevee could replace the original internal render engine in Blender.

I am a believer now.

...and volumetrics... they've now got basic volumetrics
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLLstpvUpQE

Great stuff, wonder when 2.8 and eeve comes out, game changer, also realtime volumetrics, so for a volumetric fan like me..great stuff, a better scene fior volumetrics would be nice to see though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    You know, at first I did not want to believe Eevee could replace the original internal render engine in Blender.

I am a believer now.
    Looks amazing

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast