Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Eevee - Realtime rendering engine for Blender

Introducing Eevee - Realtime rendering engine for Blender

evee is Blender's new realtime rendering engine which would be introduced to the upcoming Blender 2.8 release. However, you can try it out now. In the video below, Remington Graphics takes us through a first look at this real time engine.
    http://www.cgrecord.net/2017/06/intr...ampaign=buffer
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

This just looks awesome!

It's still far from finished, please note that a lot of what you see on that page is actually Unreal Engine!

Sure as examples. It is just awesome that they are developing this

PBR real time rendering in Blender. This is a game changer.

I have been testing Eevee yesterday for the first time (beta) - it is indeed awesome - and very easy to use. No baking, just plug and play :-P

Here's a quick test with "dead eyes" Emily (eyes are still incorrect since transparency is not yet implemented), but it looks promising. I mean, it took me 15 minutes to get this far with the skin while figuring out how Eevee nodes work! And it runs in real-time, even on my aging single thread GTX590 with a mere 1.5Gb. With bloom and DOF, and filmic color management is supported as well.

I agree, definitely a game changer. Can't wait for the final version. The devs are working on getting the materials to work in multiple render engines - the artist can work in the same material noodle and target outputs for each renderer.

Very cool.
    Win10 64 - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

One more example:

Win10 64 - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    I have been testing Eevee yesterday for the first time (beta) - it is indeed awesome - and very easy to use. No baking, just plug and play :-P

Here's a quick test with "dead eyes" Emily (eyes are still incorrect since transparency is not yet implemented), but it looks promising. I mean, it took me 15 minutes to get this far with the skin while figuring out how Eevee nodes work! And it runs in real-time, even on my aging single thread GTX590 with a mere 1.5Gb. With bloom and DOF, and filmic color management is supported as well.

I agree, definitely a game changer. Can't wait for the final version. The devs are working on getting the materials to work in multiple render engines - the artist can work in the same material noodle and target outputs for each renderer.

Very cool.
    Looks real good. Is that fake SSS on the ear? Or lighting? Skin looks real good though, for real time. Nice share!

I also like the fact that you have all you have available to you in Blender including compositing. (which I can only assume they will implement support for) Unreal has come a long way with cinematic tools, but there is nothing like having access to everything in a 3D app without the need to export. Blender supports Alembic and mdd which means it can play well with everything essentially.

If they get the DOF working and other features.... gotta say. This is something to check out!

I am not really up on Blender or Unreal Engine. Does Eevee need Unreal to work or is it fully integrated into Blender ? Does this mean Cycles will be gone ?
    Last edited by TheLexx; 06-14-2017 at 02:52 PM.

The SSS is sort-of faked - SSS is not yet supported, but it's on the roadmap.

DOF and motion blur are already supported:

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I am not really up on Blender. Does Eevee need Unreal Engine to work or is it fully integrated into Blender ? Does this mean Cycles will be gone ?
    It is a fully integrated PBR viewport in Blender. The Blender devs are trying to get it as close to Unreal as they can, but they have already stated that feature parity with Unreal is not their (primary) goal. Interestingly enough, the Godot game engine programmer(s) are trying to get their PBR rendering as close to Blender's Eevee as well. It all means that game asset artists/designers will be able to get a very close, if not near-on perfect, representation while working in Blender compared to the final exported asset in a game engine such as Unreal or Unity.

Cycles will NOT be gone, of course - what is possible, however, is to get a far more close representation of the rendered result in real time. But for a lot of visualization a fully rendered (slow) result is often not required, like in architectural viz or product viz.

And, as a matter of fact, the same material node tree will be able to output to multiple render engines - which is pretty cool all in itself. So even if your final output will be rendered, Eevee will be able to provide you with a close approximation of what the final high fidelity rendered output will look like.

Btw, now that you mention it, the ancient internal Blender raytrace renderer will be removed, and will no longer be part of version 2.8. But since Eevee will be able to pretty much reach similar real-time render quality (if not even better), no-one ought to miss it.

Guess I just wonder how much different it is than say something like Modo's advanced viewport which is also a PBR viewport (using either an Unreal or Unity shader). Supports Ambient Occlusion, shadows, screen space reflections, AA, normal maps, bump maps, transparency and environment lighting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-14_1718.png 
Views:	774 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	137092

I would say it is fundamentally different. Because if they were doing something like that they'd be using is as a comparison. Don't you think? Or any other PBR viewport, which is being used by lots of texturing apps these days. Seems if they are trying to mimic Unreal then they are going for a rendering solution which is a little bit different. At least that is how it seems to me.

Afaik Eevee have nothing to do with UE. Although I have little doubt they've learned a thing or two from the source codes for Lumbreyard, Cryengine & UE. But that's OK In any case.. Blender is pushing the boundaries, and that is a good thing. Many good things will come from that.. not to mention it will turn up the heat for companies like AD.

For a better explanation, read these:

https://code.blender.org/2016/12/vie...lan-of-action/
    https://code.blender.org/2017/03/eevee-roadmap/

@hrgiger: most of those are implemented already - transparency is still missing at this point. I do hope Eevee will be able to to reflections of some kind at some point, at least when rendering.

Seems to me Eevee can be used by game asset creators to closely approximate the final result in game engines (they will be supporting 'uber shaders" from Unreal, for example), but this is not their primary goal at all (as opposed to Modo).
    Rather, it is to be a replacement for the aging internal render engine - they are aiming at 80% feature parity. Soft shadows will be possible (computationally prohibitive for realtime viewports) at 'render time' - of course, suffice to say this will be blazingly fast to render.

Does anyone here recall Machstudio Pro? As far as I can tell, the purpose of Eevee is quite similar, as well as providing Blender users with an updated high-performance viewport. Machstudio's premise was good, but they were too much ahead in their thinking. Also, integration with 3d software was a bit of a hassle (pretty much only Maya). And now, 7 years later, the same basic idea returns in the shape of Blender's Eevee (in my opinion). But with a seamless integration into Blender.

PS the name "Eevee" was indeed based on the Pokemon character. The acronym came later

"To avoid the confusing and too much hyped name “PBR”, we propose to call this engine the EEVEE, or Extra Easy Virtual Environment Engine!"

https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/st...74433903722496

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast