Thread: ati's catalyst 3.10 fixes lw errors

ati's catalyst 3.10 fixes lw errors

howdy,

for those of you who couldn't get lw or other opengl apps to run on your card with their drivers after 3.7, the current new release fixes it and you can run lw fine.

jin

Thanks, 3.9 really shook my confidence in Radeon drivers. I ended up going back to 3.7
    Have you tried this yourself, or have you just heard this? Cause it was really a pain in the patooty to uninstall and re-install AT drivers.
    Thanks,

i bit the bullet and tried it myself.

i felt the same way after 3.9 and suffered the same uninstall everybody, re-install again thing.

oddly though, it takes TWO reboots for me before lw works after installing the new drivers (i have absolutely no insight into why in the world this would possibly be....)

btw, i am running a AIW 9600 pro vid card.

luck

jin

Are you talking about LW running on single or dual monitors. Would this fix the dual monitor problems with viewports in the second monitor. For now all I can use in the second is the panels,etc., which is a help. It would be nice to have layout on one and modeler on the second.

Ok, thanks. I am running a 9600, not Pro, but with 256 MB RAM. Even with 3.7, I experience a couple quirks with multiple monitors.
    Many times, when I drag a LW properties panel off to the monitor on the left, I can no longer click on any of the dropdowns until I drag the whole thing back to the primary monitor. I don't know if this is a display driver, Windows2K, or LW issue, but it sure is annoying.

oh,

actually, i'm just talking about the inability to run lw AT ALL with a single monitor with drivers between 3.8 - 3.9....

sorry but haven't a clue about multiple monitors. but i think the readme at the site may have some notes about that.....

luck.

jin

Stuper Member
    It seems that Lightwave only handles opengl on the primary monitor. From what I understand LW uses opengl for interface elements like menus so the menus don't work on the secondary monitor. Some cards, like Nvidia, can treat a dual monitor setup as if it is one large monitor and LW works with that scheme. Unfortunately ATI doesn't seem to offer that functionality, I tried for a long time to get a dual monitor setup working with ATI cards and LW and I never did get it to work. Maybe LW 8 will address this problem.

3.10 is good

Well, LW runs beautifully under Catalyst 3.10.
    I made some other configuration changes and now I can use the LW panels on any of my 3 monitors too

Stuper Member
    That's good to hear! Do ogl viewports also work on the secondary monitors? What did you have to do to your configuration to get it to work?

Well, I'm not sure if it the new drivers or if it was the arrangement of my monitors that made the difference, but here is what I did. I have two monitors connected to my primary vid card; they were numbered 1 and 2, with the #1 being my center monitor and also designated as the primary monitor in Windows. The monitor to the right of the center display was on its own vid card and I had no problems using LW panels on it previously or currently. So, I'm not sure if the problem had to do with OGL on two displays on the same vid card, or if it had to do with the position(the secondary display was to the left of the primary monitor). So, anyway, I went into the monitor tab of the ATI panel, and designated the "numbers" of the two displays and swpped the #1 and #2 monitor. So, now the far left monitor is both the #1 monitor AND the Windows designated primary monitor.

Stuper Member
    Thanks for the info. I gave up trying over a year ago, the last driver I tried was from october of 2002 so maybe their newer drivers addressed the issue. I moved to a new system with Nvidia graphics, which aren't perfect but they do seem to update their drivers more frequently.

ATI finally got it right. It's about time they did. Since LW worked with nVidia boards it certainly had to be an issue with video drivers from ATI. I installed that update (took me awhile to find it) and restarted and lo and behold I could drag Modeler, Layout, whatever I wanted, to the second monitor and all OpenGL displays work great. I'm so ecstatic I can't contain myself.

Thanks Jin so very much for the update. There've been a lot of questions on this board about dual monitors. I've searched and searched and tried and tried but couldn't get it to work before. In fact this is so significant that Newtek should have either a web page or a forum specifically for updated info such as this. I'm sure in the near future someone will ask how to make dual monitors work.

BTW, I'm using the ATI Radeon 9500/9700 128mb series card.

I've gotta get back to LW and start using the DUAL MONITORS, yeah.

Unhappy Y???????

Hi everyone,

I am having 3D withdrawls. I was using Lightwave 3D 7.0 on and old old old, oh ya did I mention OLD, Celeron 456 Mhz, 64 mb Ram, 16 GB Hard Drive, and an old ATI Rage II AGP. So getting right into 3D I decided that I would invest in a new system. I now have a Pentium 2.8 Ghz HT, 2.0 GB of Ram, 120 GB hard drive and an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro 128 mb. I thought that this new system would be flyin' with Lightwave on it. But after installing Lightwave on it and trying to run it...Nothing except trouble. An error pops up and I don't know what to do. So thinking that maybe its just Lightwave, I asked some of my friends to bring over there software. One brought over the new Maya 5 and the other brought over 3D Studio Max 5. Same thing. They wouldn't work. I tried downloading a demo of Strata 3D.....and guess what. It didn't work. The problem is just before any of the software open up. It's like my video card doesn't know what 3D is.

Can anyone help me as to y my new system won't run any 3D apps?

Like I said, I have:
    Pentium 4 ---- 2.8 Ghz HT 800 Mhz FSB
    2.0 GB of RAM (Dual Channel)
    120 GB Hard Drive
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro 128 mb

I don't know if these meen anything?
    (Catalyst Version 03.9)
    (2D Version 6.14.10.6396)

err hello....

read the first post....

jin