Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: LW Unified Physics::Squirt Gun Open Beta begins

motion blur would be Super!  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Hope that further development is doing well Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Hope that further development is doing well Steve.
    Not really.

I haven't been able to figure out how to do MB in UP since it seems to require objects with the same point count, which is not the case with UP's generated fluid meshes. I've been working on adding Flex cloth and soft bodies and Newton rigid bodies to UP. Right now I'm trying to port the back end I just wrote for this little stand alone project, into LW as an interactive ray traced previewer. Not quite sure if it's going to work yet. Should have a video in the next few days if it does.

maybe in time we can think of a clever idea. there are LW hacks, that sometimes work. sounds a bit tricky though.

from a curious pov, what are the advantages using Flex cloth and Newton Rigid Bodies ?

fluid filter like this would be cool >

edit: hm, looking again, it might not be that far away...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-uaYSqbfKU
    time to run some tests...
    Last edited by erikals; 12-05-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hurley View Post
    Not really.

I haven't been able to figure out how to do MB in UP since it seems to require objects with the same point count, which is not the case with UP's generated fluid meshes. I've been working on adding Flex cloth and soft bodies and Newton rigid bodies to UP. Right now I'm trying to port the back end I just wrote for this little stand alone project, into LW as an interactive ray traced previewer. Not quite sure if it's going to work yet. Should have a video in the next few days if it does.
    As a workaround...would it be possible to add a velocity attribute to a point color/voxel color for MB passes to render out?
    Probably not that simple either...

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    maybe in time we can think of a clever idea. there are LW hacks, that sometimes work. sounds a bit tricky though.

from a curious pov, what are the advantages using Flex cloth and Newton Rigid Bodies ?
    I've found that Flex rigid bodies aren't as robust as Newton's. Newton physics can't react to fluids but you can use them as Kinematic objects in Flex for some interesting effects.

I managed to get step 1 working and now having interactive ray tracing/physics displaying in Layout's viewport

I'm going to use this framework for UP 2, which will include softbody and cloth support and an interactive ray traced preview

As a workaround...would it be possible to add a velocity attribute to a point color/voxel color for MB passes to render out?
    Probably not that simple either...
    I can query the velocity of each particle output by Flex but mapping this info to each point in the CSG generated mesh from OpendVDB is challenging. And I'm not really sure how to create MB just by knowing the velocity of each vertex on each tick.

I believe you can add the velocity of each particle as an attribute when you convert the particles to a VDB, then OpenVDB will interpolate them for you. Then each vertex will have a velocity value. I haven't tried it, there's a post somewhere about it, forgotten where.

not sure if this can be answered, but i'll ask anyway...
    comparing Flex , Newton, bullet
    which one is the faster simulating 10000 colliding objects?

i know this is a tricky question though.

Steve, now that LW 2018 is nearly upon us, can we expect UP and Advanced Placement to work as expected, or even better? Any news regarding updates for them for LW 2018?

according to webpage
    UP works in LightWave Next (2018)
    http://hurleyworks.com/portfolio-items/up

unsure about Advanced Placement
    http://hurleyworks.com/portfolio-ite...nced-placement

I'm aware of this. I was wondering if there were any additions to their functionality and abilities. Steve mentioned some things that he was working on and hoped to have news before end of year.

Sorry for the delay ... had some personal stuff going on

darkChief
    I believe you can add the velocity of each particle as an attribute when you convert the particles to a VDB, then OpenVDB will interpolate them for you. Then each vertex will have a velocity value. I haven't tried it, there's a post somewhere about it, forgotten where
    Thanks!. I'll see if I can track down the post.

comparing Flex , Newton, bullet
    which one is the faster simulating 10000 colliding objects?
    I have no idea and no time to do any proper experiments One thing I can tell was that way back when I was starting what would eventually become AP, my code could switch between Newton, Bullet and PhysX at runtime so I could easily compare them. Clear winner for me was Newton.
    JamesCurtis
    Steve, now that LW 2018 is nearly upon us, can we expect UP and Advanced Placement to work as expected, or even better? Any news regarding updates for them for LW 2018?
    UP is working in LW2018 but AP is not and will take some work. UP for LW2018 is a separate plugin but it will be a free update for current UP owners and should be available when LW2018 launches.

Hi steve,

sorry to here that AP is not running in LW2018, hope you can sort it out and fix it as soon as possible

thx alex
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

Good reason to keep LW2015.3 on your machines as well as 2018. Should be able to have both on a machine as far as I know. I have tons of client work that uses the old 2015 stuff, and would be a real pain to have to change it all.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast