Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Dynamics - Faster Plugin?

Bullet Dynamics - Faster Plugin?

Quick question if anybody knows if there is a faster bullet dynamics plugin or other software that works with Lightwave?

Currently I believe that Lightwave only uses one core to complete the bullet dynamics for a scene. It is way too slow for me at times and I use it a lot so it would be nice to have it go faster.

If there is not such a software or plugin that works with Lightwave what other 3d animation software do you recommend that has fast bullet dynamics?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to use dynamics to do clothing, then the obvious choice is Syflex.

http://www.syflex.biz/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-cXiAohXpI

Im quite shocked LW only uses one core???? feels like its using everything - it chuggs so much and reduces my twelve core to an unresponsive crawl
    Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Xeon 3.33 16 GB, ATI Radeon HD 5870, OS X 10.8.5, LWCAD, Tree Designer, IFW2

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    If you want to use dynamics to do clothing, then the obvious choice is Syflex.

http://www.syflex.biz/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-cXiAohXpI
    Its amazing the difference in speed

I use it a lot for objects smashing other things. Breaking items and knocking things over.

Quote Originally Posted by circleofsmoke View Post
    Im quite shocked LW only uses one core???? feels like its using everything - it chuggs so much and reduces my twelve core to an unresponsive crawl
    It was my understanding that it only could use one core. I will try and dig up where I found that. In the meantime here is a simple dynamics scene that hardly takes up any cpu at all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	98 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	136277

Here is the link to another thread talking about Bullet in Lightwave. I do believe it is not multi threaded and that is why I asked the question if there is a plugin or other software that does it really well.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....u+usage+bullet

Yeah, AFAIK, LightWave Bullet isn't multi-threaded. I'm not sure if this is a Bullet limitation or a LightWave Bullet limitation.

FWIW, I haven't found Bullet especially slow but then I'm always optimizing the crap out of everything. It's all relative anyway, and I'm certainly for faster dynamics. I hope LW3DG puts more work into it for a future release.

Edit: I just ran a quick test and looked at Task Manager. It does look like only one thread is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    but then I'm always optimizing the crap out of everything. It's all relative anyway, .
    any tips ?

Just doing a quick google, it seems Bullet is only multi-threaded in certain parts, so it's going to be limited whatever you use.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Planning to use Bullet in my projects, and been looking at the source. It has opencl support, but the implementation is buggy according to documentation. It's seems to be a compatibility issue, so Newtek could branch their own version Bullet and enhance the opencl code. If they wanted to of course.

I think Jarno said some time ago that Bullet in LW Next will be multi-threaded.
    System info: CPU: Xeon X5680 RAM: 12GB DDR3/1333MHz MB: Asus P6T WS Pro GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win7, LW2018.0.7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    any tips ?
    Just the usual stuff:

- Calculate your sims in their own scene with only the items necessary for the sim; MDD the result and then use that data in your final scene
    - Don't use more polygons in your geometry than you actually need for the sim.
    - For accuracy, try to use meshes that have polygons that are more or less the same size. You'll probably need to customize the geometry for the sim.
    - This is more of a Fracture tip but still related: use meshes that have polygons that are more or less the same size to get cleaner breaks, with few to zero errors. This will mean making more polygons than you probably think the object should have but it's important if you want a valid object that sims well with Bullet.
    - If you need bevels on the insides of cracks, use a edge shader like DP Edge on the inner surfaces. This way, the edges will be 'hidden' until after the object breaks, and save you a lot of unnecessary extra modeling. Note that DP Edge needs clean meshes, so see the note about Fracture.
    - Cloth sim is where you actually want more polygons to get realisitic folds and wrinkles. Don't rely on Sub-D surfaces--you'll be dissappointed because Bullet is always looking at the 'real', un-subdivided mesh. The polygons should be pretty regular and about the same size as much as possible.
    - Use proxy geometry for collision, and Kinematic instead of Deformable for collision wherever possible. Most of the time, it's many times faster with nearly the same results. (It will probably wind up being more predictable too.)
    - If you need to use Deformable for collision, use a proxy object. Deformable can really drag the system down when using it for collision, and a higher resolution collision object is probably doing a lot less for the simulation than you think.

There's a bunch of other stuff I can list but I think this covers the basics. Mostly it's just observing and understanding what Bullet is seeing and doing with what it sees, and then removing everything from the scene that Bullet doesn't need. Anything extra is just wasting time at this stage.

awesome thanks !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast