Thread: Lightwave 2015.3 and Windows 10

Lightwave 2015.3 and Windows 10

Hi All

I am about to upgrade to Windows 10 and I thought I would ask if any of you guys have had any issues with Lightwave 2105.3 and Windows 10 before I do it
    Thanks

None whatsoever for me here, and this machine was upgraded from 7 Pro to 10 Only thing is the borders in LW don't quite like to match up with the edge of the screen, but I vaguely remember tinkering with Windows' borders to make them reeeeeeally tiny.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    None whatsoever for me here, and this machine was upgraded from 7 Pro to 10 Only thing is the borders in LW don't quite like to match up with the edge of the screen, but I vaguely remember tinkering with Windows' borders to make them reeeeeeally tiny.
    That's great, thanks for the heads up

From what I hear:

One should install LW as Administrator and into c:/newtek/lightwave ... and NOT into C:/ProgramFiles/Newtek/Lightwave

I installed mine as Administrator, but I do that for everything anyway. However, it's in the default C:/Program Files/Newtek/LightWave_2015.3 directory and I haven't noticed any issues. I wonder why the advice is against that?
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Just be sure that immediately after you upgrade to win 10, update, at the very least, your networking and video drivers to the latest offered by your chipsets' providers. Also, update to the Anniversary Edition of Win10, and set up group policies for Windows Update and Delivery Optimization, so it doesn't choke your entire network's bandwidth when updating (guides are out there on the 'net, Windows Update / Delivery Optimization now follow them) windows. I had one other issue while upgrading that required enlarging the hidden system partition, so in case you run into it, back up the entire drive.

Besides that, It's been a fairly smooth road with Win10 and Lightwave.

Kopperdrake : It's to deal with pesky UAC messages.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Thanks for your replies guys

I had no significant issues other than that it seems now impossible to get panels to come up on screen precisely where you want them, and I finally gave up on my old practice with Modeler of aligning some panels e.g. Statistics down the right side. That might have actually started with Win8, I don't recall.

They also made it harder to customize the appearance of windows, e.g. title height, border width, etc., but some configurability is still possible via themes.

Quote Originally Posted by tburbage View Post
    I had no significant issues other than that it seems now impossible to get panels to come up on screen precisely where you want them, and I finally gave up on my old practice with Modeler of aligning some panels e.g. Statistics down the right side. That might have actually started with Win8, I don't recall.

They also made it harder to customize the appearance of windows, e.g. title height, border width, etc., but some configurability is still possible via themes.
    Are you using a computer with a touch screen? I'm only asking because I too had similar problem om my surface pro. I had to change how LW handles input if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 02-24-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamedesign1 View Post
    Hi All

I am about to upgrade to Windows 10 and I thought I would ask if any of you guys have had any issues with Lightwave 2105.3 and Windows 10 before I do it
    Thanks
    I had to reformat my computer. After I did, it was left a number of days without me installing anything on it, but it did updates. Now, when I try installing Lightwave I get an error on the installer (VisualStudio 2008) and now my installation does not finish!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	328.8 KB 
ID:	144417
    Oliver Zúņiga
    VFX Supervisor
    MarteStudio
    www.martestudio.com

Your installation may be bombing because it looks like you've got two different installers running: LightWave and Lightshot. Try one at a time.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.